Friday, August 28, 2026

Fave Beware!

I'm not saying that Fave, my favorite cashier at the Gas Station Chicken Store, is in danger of being replaced. But those lottery machines at 10Box are giving her a run for our money! 

You may recall that a couple weeks ago, I got a $200 winner out of the left machine, and a $100 winner out of the right machine, ON THE SAME DAY! 

Last week, a 10Box employee who always asks me if I've won anything was standing at the right machine. I got tickets out of the left machine. I told her of my good fortune. Because she likes to know, and so she would know that buying those same tickets might not be the best option. She usually doesn't buy the $10 crosswords anyway. She likes the high-dollar tickets. In fact, she was buying a $30 ticket that day.

Employee stepped aside to scratch her ticket. "Huh. Just a $40 winner."

"Still. That's more than you spent. And probably more than I'll win on mine!"

Employee stepped over to the left machine as I had moved to the right machine. She stuck it under the scanner to verify her win. "Oh! I didn't win $40. I won $100!"

"That's even better! Congratulations. I know not to buy THAT ticket for a while, heh, heh."

"I really needed that right now. This is great."

Of course I was happy for her. And I knew which ticket not to buy there, in case The Pony wanted me to cash in a winner and get a $30 ticket.

On Wednesday, both machines were busy. An older couple were deciding, and chose a $5 ticket. The customer at the right machine I'd seen before. He's always friendly, and talks to me about the tickets. But all at once, he left and went to the service desk. The Old Couple watched. Discussing how he must have had a good winner.

Indeed. He came back while waiting for the manager to respond to her call up front.

"Here. Let me move my groceries out of your way."

"Thanks. They're fine. Did you have a big winner?"

"$100. On this ten." 

It was one that I buy sometimes, and in fact had planned on getting that day. Not anymore, heh, heh! It actually pays to talk to people. So to speak.

"Congratulations!"

"Yeah. Now let's see if I can win something else." He said as he stepped back to the service desk to cash it out.

The Old Couple was glad to hear the result. They took their cart and left after that. I imagine they were going to scratch at home. I don't remember what I won that day. I think it was $25 on a $5 ticket. Not great, but not bad.

No comments: