Saturday, August 29, 2026

I Didn't Mean To Jinx Fave

Well. This is unfortunate. No sooner had I put out my concern that Fave might be replaced as the favorite lottery ticket seller by that right-side machine at 10Box... than Fave disappeared! Not like the Statue of Liberty by David Copperfield (YouTube 3:47). Or some prankster who tosses a blanket in the air and then dodges behind the wall to fool a pet. 

It took Fave a whole day to disappear.

Fave was working her shift as usual when I bought scratchers at 4:30 Thursday at the Gas Station Chicken Store. But when I went back Friday, around 2:30, Fave was not there! Her shift starts at 2:00, and she has mentioned that she needs to be there by 1:30. Yet there was NO FAVE! The older lady was working. The one who's there weekday mornings. I wondered if maybe Fave was just running late. Man Owner was also there behind the counter, but that's not unusual. I think he leaves between 3:00 and 4:00.

I don't want to jump to conclusions. When Fave is missing on a Friday, I always hope it's because she won a big jackpot on one of the tickets I gave her Thursday. Maybe she's just silently saying, "Take this job and shove it." Or maybe she's on her way to the city to cash in her winner. That's the best case scenario. I don't like to think of another thumb-chomping dog issue, or another gunshot wound over that dog, or a boyfriend falling off a roof. Or an unfortunate separation from her cashiering job.

Where, oh where, has my lucky Fave gone?

2 comments:

River said...

I do hope nothing tragic has happened. You can ask when she gets back and hopefully it is something you can both laugh about.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I hope to see Fave on Sunday. I had to go earlier today, before her shift, so I don't know if she was back.