Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Modern Appliances Of Hillmomba

The #1 son is up to his old tricks again. I was washing dishes earlier (have I ever mentioned that I do not have a dishwasher?), when he decided to eat some Christmas-day sugar-free brownies that I bought for Farmer H.


Mmm...I need a brownie.

You might want to check them. They're getting kind of old. They expired on December 26th.

That was only five days ago.

I think you need to check your math. (Mr. ACT score of 34 out of 36 possible)

Let's see. The 26th...and today is the 3rd...it's only been eight days.

You'd better look for mold. That stuff doesn't stay good forever.

I don't see any mold.

Oh, you don't SEE any mold. But what about the hyphae?

What about it?

Do you even know what that is?

Not really.

The hairlike roots of the mold that grow down in, before you see the spores.

OK. You talked me out of the brownies. I'm throwing them away. I think I'll have some of Dad's fudge.

Stop cutting it on the table! You'll mar the surface.


I won't mar the surface!

Yes, you will! The other boys did it with a pencil. The metal part by the eraser. Because they didn't want to do their homework.

Yeah, right. That was fifteen years ago. There. It broke off at the bottom. The knife didn't even touch the table. Here.

Great. Another piece of silverware to wash. Do you think it washes itself? Wouldn't it be great if that happened? If you could put your dishes somewhere at night, and in the morning, they would all be clean?

What kind of world are you thinking of? Like that could really happen!


I'm surprised he didn't tell me that I should be thankful I don't have to carry his clothes down to the creek and beat them with a rock.

2 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I am right there with you. No dishwasher here, either. I had to choose between cupboard space or a dishwasher. Since choosing that space I have come to realize that I should just get rid of all these dishes ....... but, then, I wouldn't need a dishwasher. I do have a washer and dryer, actually I have three of each!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
You are an O. Henry story all by yourself. Next Christmas, you can sell your dishes to buy yourself a dishwasher, and then discover that you have no dishes to wash in it. A clever title might be "The Gift of the Kath-I." Or not.

Congrats on the washer and dryer hat trick. But if any of them are on the porch, you belong in Hillmomba.