Monday, May 27, 2013

Like A Leopard Cannot Change Its Spots

My sweet dog Juno is a little imp. She thinks I can't see her when she shoots into the garage as I open the door while piloting T-Hoe down the driveway. She scampers in and runs to the front, where she grabs a mouthful of dry cat food from the large roasting pan that feeds the felines. She disappears as soon as she chomps on that clandestine bite. Or so she thinks.

Cars have windows, you know. I see her enter. The garage door tells me she's leaving. I press the opener, in this case the closer, and it starts its descent. BUT THEN IT STOPS! And starts back up. That means a toddler, of which we have zero, or a cat or dog, of which we have seven, has ventured under the door while it is going down. Some kind of extra-smart sensor prevents a catastrophe. Or a toddlostrophe. Or in this case, a dogostrophe.

Silly Juno. She must be rolling under that door, reaching back for her fedora at the last minute like Indiana Jones. Little does she know her secret is out. Surely she realizes this behavior is frowned on. Why else would she scoot around to the front of the garage, to the people door where I will come out, smiling with her border collie genes, twinkling her hazel eyes, panting like her mouth did not just chew up cat food a few seconds earlier?

A couple of times I've caught her red-tongued. Trapped her in the garage by shutting the door as soon as T-Hoe clears the entry portal. Then Juno stands by the people door. Acting like she just ran in to see me. Even though I can see her chewing. I must admit that I barely chastise her. Hardly a "tsk tsk" escapes my lips.

Female dogs will be female dogs.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I'm detecting a whiff of partiality here...

I know you have some dog/cat stories inside your head, and Chicken Soup is looking for them. Rotate those gems, over and over, and make the necessary tiny cuts to bring them to brilliance...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
You're detecting a whiff of something, all right. That Soup stock will have to go on the back burner, rotating slowly over a spit, because I have bigger fish to fry at the moment, in a culinary category at which I am more adept. But thank you for the encouragement. I will set the marination in progress.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Hard to get mad at her, isn't it? Same with Toni Louise. She is just so sweet, and scolding just rolls off her anyway. She is so sure that she is loved, confidence is not lacking here.

I saw a pup at WalMart today. About the size of my Wall-E, but a puppy. Looked like a pit mix, no collar. Poor thing was walking through the parking lot. He didn't seem to be afraid of people, but would not come close enough to be caught. I was afraid he was going to be hit by a car, but a fire truck happened in and he was captured. I like to think he will live at the firehouse and become their mascot ....... despite the fact the he unceremoniously took a dump right next to my car!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
That little pooper might have upset the pecking order for a while if you took him home with you.