Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Mrs. Hillbilly Mom Is Dreamy

And so it begins. The school dreams. You'd think summer vacation would make one immune to job-related issues. Even in dreams. But no.

Way back when I was a coach, I used to have dreams of my players breaking into my townhouse in the middle of the night, stomping up the steps, accosting me as I lay snoozing, and demanding to know the starting lineup. I could see how this was related to the stresses of competition. How I wanted to do the right thing, but was worried that it would be the wrong thing. And perhaps that the players were not 100% behind my lineup choices.

Early this morning, I had a dream that I was getting ready for work. I was already dressed, putting the finishing touches on my hair (HA! Like THAT has ever happened!), and caught my reflection in the mirror. Apparently my new shampoo had stripped the color from my hair. On one side. Yes, the dreamy Mrs. Hillbilly Mom was sporting half a dark-brown head, and half a...HOT-PINK head!

There I was, in a quandary. I probably had time to color my hair and get to school on time. But that would mean taking a shower and getting dressed all over again. Or I could just glop on the color while dressed for work, and hope I didn't spoil my clothes. Or I could do nothing. I kept turning my head, and if the light hit just right, half my head looked gray instead of pink. I decided to risk it. Go as I was. Even though I know the school has a rule about colored hair for students. It must be a natural hair color. Not necessarily natural to that particular student, but a color that occurs on human heads in nature.

I took off for my dream job. Which was the same as my regular job. I had one major worry. Was I afraid the school administrator would chastise me for having half a head of pink hair? No, I was not. I figured the school would be so glad I showed up and didn't cost them a substitute that they would make up some crazy new rule on the spot, to accommodate illegally coiffed faculty.

My fear was that the students would compliment me all day on my cutting-edge coiffure.

Warning: If you get all scientific and/or New Age-y and consult multiple resources to analyze this dream, I DO NOT want to know the results. I am freaky enough with my subconscious half-pink noggin.

2 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

You must miss school, and are wishing summer was not one big void...

You should volunteer at a school that's holding summer school sessions. THAT will put an end to those crazy dreams of yours...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Yeah. I'm sure that's it. I'm missing school. Thank you so much for your helpful suggestion.

Last night I dreamed that I was left to walk home after my own high school graduation. On roads without sidewalks. And I broke into a house to use the bathroom, and the people came home, and didn't even have the decency to offer me a ride. AND my sister answered my call for help, and said she was going to a party, and that I'd have to walk.

What's THAT all about?