Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My Reference Pony Put A Foot Wrong

On the way home today, I had a most scathingly brilliant idea for a phrase to throw into a most scathingly brilliant blog post. Don't look for it here. In fact, you probably wouldn't even recognize it if you found it. The most scathingly brilliant part would throw you off.

I posed my question to the universe. Actually, I was asking The Pony, but since he sits behind me in T-Hoe, and it does not behoove one to turn one's head on a swivel like some wild and crazy owl, I spoke to the windshield and oncoming traffic. "Hey, where did the phrase pipe dream come from, anyway?"

"Pie cream?"

"No. Pipe dream. Not pie cream."

"That's not what I'm saying. Pie queen?"

"No. Not pie queen. Pipe dream."

"I didn't say that! I said, 'Pike queen?'"

"Not pike queen. Pipe dream."

"I SAID, 'Pike green?' G R E E N. Green!"

"No. PIPE DREAM!"

"Huh. I don't know."

I could have had that conversation with Farmer H if I wanted to play Who's On First. Somehow, I expected more from The Pony. He's quite well-read. And he soundly thumps me in Jeopardy on anything mappy, ancient, Greek, Roman, or mythological. But this one stumped him.

A few minutes ago, I convened with my BFF Google to get the scoop. Pipe dream comes from the hallucinations of one smoking the opium pipe.

Sweet Gummi Mary! Paula Deen in my front yard eating a lobster tail! What is WRONG with the youth of today, not even knowing their opium references?

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

With the craziness that goes along with the end of the school year, I would really appreciate a "pipe dream."

Oh, well.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I'm pretty sure that schools are pipe-dream-free zones.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I did not know that! I will use this to toy with He Who. Did Paula Deen have a bucket of butter for that lobster?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Of course she did. I coined this exclamation back in the day, way before the brouhaha over her medical history.