Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Don't Hate Me Because I'm A Recliner-Snoozer, Hate Me Because I Can Eat Chili And Peanut Butter & Syrup Sandwiches

Ho hum. Another relaxing evening at the ol' Mansion, snoozin' away in BlueReclinerville. For, you see, Newmentia has cancelled classes yet another day. This will be Snow Day #5. That means we lose Martin Luther King Day and President's Day. Thank goodness I still have 8 sick days left, having neutralized one today with our school outage.

At the moment, I am having a delicious cup of steaming leftover chili, accompanied by a peanut butter and syrup sandwich. We can't have them at school anymore, you know. Because of the peanut kids. I would be lying if I pretended that all cafeteria eaters were on board for keeping such kids alive. Some decry the three-year ban of peanut butter to this very day. My effort is a poor substitute. I think our cooks use Karo Syrup, rather than Save A Lot brand Sugar Free Aunt Maple's Syrup. Still, I almost remember the classic taste of the school lunch tray, back when the chili was served in pea-soup-green hard plastic bowls, rather than the foam version they have today. I suppose that in the years leading up to his retirement, Mr. B tossed one too many of them in the industrial gray garbage can when slamming his tray against the side. And not accidentally.

I drove through the freshly-driven snow this morning at 3 degrees to reach my doctor's appointment. The roads were a mess, but I had my trusty T-Hoe. He never put a tire wrong. By the time I left the office around 11:00, the sun was working its magic at 19 degrees, melting areas that had been salted and plowed with a lick and a promise. By the time I got home at 1:00, the main roads were clear. Not so our county road and gravel ice rink.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With all these days off, I imagine you might be creating some whimsy on your computer.

Chicken Soup...NYMB...Erma...

I'm STILL waiting for a flyer, filled with details of your book signing.

My heckling skills are just sitting here, unused.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Nope. No whimsy. Mulling Erma topics. You'll have to wait a bit longer for that flyer, Madam. Hone those heckling skills. Right now my only comeback consists of: "Don't you know who I am?"