Monday, December 9, 2013

Gee Your Kitchen Smells Terrific

Do you realize that since Thanksgiving, I have only worked two days?

Paid work, of course. At school. I went on Monday as usual, was off Tuesday for the phlebotomist, worked Wednesday, then had an amazing sleet storm and 10+ inches of snow. We're off again tomorrow. Makes me no nevermind. I have a doctor's appointment. I think I can make it. Even though 1-3 more inches of snow are in the forecast tonight. I got out and drove for the first time today. The roads are covered, but I have 4WD. Hope those aren't famous last words.

So what does a woman of leisure such as myself do with herself on days such as this? I have whipped up two batches of Chex Mix, neither for my best old ex-teaching buddy, Mabel, who deserves only the cream of the crop, and will have hers prepared specially.

I also threw together a pot of chili this morning. I must say, I believe it's the tastiest chili I ever made. Got it right the first time, the spritzing and squeezing and dashing and dolloping and squirting of my many ingredients. Too bad I don't follow a recipe.

I must say, my kitchen smelled terrific. The toasting garlic and Worcestershire sauce of the Chex Mix, and the hamburger and onion simmering together for the chili. I was going to light my mulled cider candle as well, but the slight aroma of it still mingled in as it warmed on the hot metal stove top.

Those realtors who advise the seller to bake cookies before a showing have it all wrong.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erma Bombeck always recommended putting a raw onion in the oven and baking it. It makes the house smell like you've been slaving over the stove.

No more snow days for us--until the next snowfall comes...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Well, tomorrow I will be reveling in my 7-day weekend. I suppose being a captive in my own home kind of balances out the time-offedness.

I did venture out on my own yesterday, and had a rendezvous with the doctor today. I thought we might actually go back to school on Wednesday, but the doctor said no. And everybody follows doctor's orders, I suppose.

And that reminds me...I need to pull something out of thin air to send to Erma's contest.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I once knew a woman who tired of her children demanding "What's for dinner" every day. She started having a pot of simmering water with an onion and some garlic on the stove every day. Seemed like a lot of trouble to go to. Why not just cook something?