Saturday, June 28, 2014

That's Porchway Robbery!

Yesterday, I had some kitchen leftovers to throw off the back deck. The outdoors is just one big garbage dump for Hillmombans, you know. I had the tough outer layer and some skin from an onion, and some fat-scrapings from the bottom of a pan that had caught the grease from pork steaks on a rack as I warmed them up in the oven. The scrapings were for my sweet, sweet Juno, and the onion was for the chickens to peck at in the back yard.

I grabbed the paper plate with the blobs of grease, and the other with the onion remnants, and stepped out the kitchen door.  I heard the thump of a sweet, sweet tail in Juno's doghouse. "Here, you go, Sweetie." I dropped the grease plate beside her abode, and stepped over to the rail to fling the onions. When I turned back around, ANN was licking the grease plate!

Oh, horror of horrors! My sweet, sweet Juno went treatless because that doggone Ann the black shepherd had been squatting in Juno's house again. It's dark in there. You look in and see a black nose, and automatically assume it's Juno in her rightful home.

Poor Ann. She's not the brightest crayon in the box. She'd take a lick, the plate would slide across the boards, and she'd follow and take another lick. She did that until the plate lodged between my feet as I stood scolding her for taking Juno's house. The upbraiding did not seem to affect her appetite. I sighed and picked up the empty plate.

At least my sweet, sweet Juno would have known to put a paw on that plate to hold it while she licked.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Maybe you need to set up a little backroads bistro. Ann and Juno could make reservations, ensuring that mix-up doesn't happen again.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Well...as long as I don't serve eggs or chicken.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Sweet Juno has it made. Ann, not so much. Our Toni Louise is quickly becoming the new Alpha of our pack. Poor old Oscar is fading and enjoying his retirement. Wall-E would never be an Alpha, he is too nervous. Cujo tries, but Toni Louise dominates him. Hmmm, I suppose she is a dominatrix ........

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I fear that Friday night, when Farmer H tossed out some rib bones...ANN was the beneficiary. He's always trying to even things up like that. Hmpf! Like Ann would even know she wasn't getting her share.

Juno is like a middle child, always afraid someone else is getting more attention, food, or kind words. She growls from the time she starts eating her pan of dry dog food until she is done, even though a metal trash can FULL of dry dog food separates her and Ann.