Sunday, January 4, 2015

No Reprieve In Sight

Flurries, flurries everywhere, and not a flake to stick.

Whatever happened to winter? Last year's winter! The winter that started before winter arrived. I distinctly remember having an entire five-day consecutive week off due to snow BEFORE Christmas. That was like a...a...NINE-DAY WEEKEND! And then, just when we were steeling ourselves to return after the new year...POOF! A magical snow on Sunday evening that put us out another entire five-day consecutive week.

Alas. Two weeks into calendar winter, and nary a coating to slick the roads. It must be that dad-gum global warming. How many cows do you have to keep from farting to get a little precipitation accumulation around here? The cold is allegedly knocking on our door, yet it's too much of a good thing. Too cold to snow! Of course we will be left with the unpleasantness of the bone-chilling deep freeze on the day my mom goes to the dentist to have two teeth pulled, and I go to my retirement seminar.

You know when that accumulating snow will arrive? On the day I have to go back to a city doctor in February, or the day my mom has to go to her head doctor in the city. Yep. I'm sure of it. That's when those things always happen. The bitter along with the sweet.

I refuse to resign myself to the possibility that we will have NO further snow days, and that Newmentia will dismiss for the summer on May 12.

Not gonna happen.

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I know, too cold to snow! I love the snow. Makes my gardens look magical instead of neglected.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I love watching the snow drift down. I love even more watching a blizzard that coats the ground within minutes.

Sioux Roslawski said...

The magic number is 16. 16 below 0, and we're talkin' 'bout windchill, baby, not even the actual temperature... and if the magic 16 (below) ball is rolled...no school.

I'm hoping for Wednesday.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
The not-heaven, you say! I don't know if we have a benchmark for below zero. I need to check that out. Hope springs eternal!