Friday, November 17, 2017

Mrs. HM Takes The Cake

Right now I'm in Norman. Oh, the miracles of scheduling on the innernets! We have brought Thanksgiving to The Pony. He's a simple beast. Not much of a turkey eater, must be coaxed towards ham, mainly survives on Sister Schubert's rolls, butter, and Oreo Cake.


I must admit that this was not my best result. Nor was the photo my phone gave me. It looks like we live in a medieval dungeon. I gave that cake my best effort, though. After having a headache on Monday and Wednesday, waking Tuesday night in my OPC (Old People Chair) to find something had gone horribly wrong with my GOOD knee! The left one. It is very painful in the front, just under the kneecap, in that squishy part towards the inside. I figure that in reclining, and rotating my left leg while crossing my right ankle over the left one...I dislodged some loose cartilage or previous scar tissue. That's the one that's been operated on twice. This must have relodged itself in the wrong place.

I spent Wednesday walking like a pirate with a peg leg! And Thursday, too. Farmer H had to do my trash dumpster duties, and I'm pretty sure he drove the Gator and pulled it along.

Anyhoo...I hope I'm ambulatory enough to make it up to The Pony's 3rd floor apartment. Farmer H has assured me that they are the "low" 7-inch steps. That seems pretty high to me. We'll see. As long as there's a good handrail, I think I'll make it. Though the quest to scale Everest might be easier for the young and fit than this attempt for me.

Anyhoo...I'm not a master baker (heh, heh, says my 13-year-old self). That cake is from a box mix, and the icing (we don't call it frosting in Hillmomba) is from a tub, and the Oreos are...well...Oreos! I couldn't find a cake carrier after hiking across The Devil's Playground, so I spent 88 cents for a pizza pan, and covered it with foil for The Pony's convenience of cleanup. It will be protected on the journey by the top of my own cake carrier, which will be making the trip home with us.

I'm sure The Pony will be pleased, no matter what his cake is resting on. I'm also pretty sure this is one of the foods he wanted most, but didn't ask for so he could spare me the work.

He's a good egg, The Pony.

8 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

A mother's love! We won't be having the holiday meal with our kids, but plan to make the trip in early December. I already have a list of food requests from them. It is a labor of love.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I just can't stop myself from spoiling my good egg!

River said...

I'm guilty of spoiling my boys too. And the girls of course, can't leave them out.
I'm not a fan of oreos, but the cake looks pretty good to me.
Is a 'low' 7 inch step much shorter than a 'high' 7 inch step?
(*~*)

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I'm not an Oreo fan, either. I don't even like this cake.

I went up those steps last night, and they didn't seem like ANY 7 inch steps to me. They were low, and easy to step. Two flights.

Anonymous said...

That cake looks good enough to eat!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

fishducky,
Good to know! That was kind of the whole idea...

Sioux Roslawski said...

He's a good egg and you had a bum leg...

The cake looks delicious.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Are you a poet and I didn't know it? Just a box cake with tubby icing. The Pony vouches for its deliciosity.