Thursday, November 2, 2017

Paint My Palette Pink And Purple And Blue And Gray

I have been delayed tonight because my internet was flooded. There was a downpour that seemed to take forever to pass over the Mansion. I had a feeling something was on the horizon.

I went out to walk, and saw that the sun was just ready to dip below the horizon, so dashed back inside to grab my phone. Mrs. Hillbilly Mom does not dash at a high rate of speed. Plus, I had to maneuver myself across uneven gravel, into the unevener front yard full of mole tunnels, while sidestepping frolicking the sun kind of got away from me. can see that a storm was moving in. As I sat on the front porch pew while the dogs enjoyed their stale bread drenched with bacon drippings, old frozen pepperoni slices removed from around cheese sticks about 6 months ago, and expired potato chips...I saw lightning and heard thunder. Juno isn't one to tolerate a storm. She ate her snack and waited for a pat, then gave a loud burp and skittered away to her house on the back porch to ride out the storm

As I was getting supper ready, I stepped out back to toss some onion skins off the porch, and heard the sound of sprinkles in the trees. I didn't feel anything, even though I was out from under the porch overhang. I came back in and heard the deluge pelting the porch and roof. I guess I was just in time, getting back inside after hearing the rain on its way across the woods.

I didn't mind my internet outage too much this time. I busied myself writing the boys' weekly letter. Good think I had my other blog already done, or I'd really be burning the midnight oil right now at 10:48 p.m.


fishducky said...

Isn't 10:48 p.m. still several hours before your bedtime?

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Another thing your Juno and Toni Louise have in common, they hate storms. Poor Toni trembles and wedges herself between the toilet and the bath tub. Leaves a lot of her hair there! The weather has been strange lately.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Heck yeah! Four hours and twelve minutes, to be exact. I try to get my blog posts done by 9:00 p.m., usually, for my 3.5 loyal readers. I know that 9:00 is not late for you on the west coast, but my best ol' ex-teaching buddy Mabel used to ask what was the holdup when I was late. She goes to bed at 9:00. I think she waits until the next day, or the weekend, to read them now. But I'm a creature of habit, and I have very little left to be on schedule about now.

Poor Toni Louise! I'll bet she doesn't like fireworks, either.

We also had our old dog, Grizzly, who was deathly afraid of storms. He was half beagle and half chocolate lab. Kind of a mid-size dark brown dog. We got him at the pound when he was a pup, and his first night at home, we had a severe thunderstorm.

Farmer H had made Grizzly a little pen in the corner of the back porch by the laundry room door, in the area that overlooked the future Poolio. It was dry and out of the wind, but the lightning and thunder must have scarred Grizzly for life. I'm sure you would have kept him in the house, but that's not Farmer H's style.

When we had a tornado warning years later, with the twister headed in our direction, Farmer H brought Grizzly into the basement. He was a perfect gentleman. Meaning Grizzly.

Sioux Roslawski said...

I've heard that chocolate labs are the most whackadoodle, when it comes to labs...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Poor old Grizzly was just meek. I picked him from the pound because he was the runt of the litter. A gaggle of pups ran up to the gate, yipping hopefully, and he hung back. I told Hick and toddler Genius, "That's the one we're getting." He'd stand at the end of the driveway, barking to protect his home, and other dogs running by behind 4-wheelers would stop to pee ON Grizzly.

River said...

I was lying in bed this morning, around 4am, hearing what I thought was heavy rain, thinking my newspaper will be getting wet, thank goodness they wrap them in newspaper now, so when the sound let up I went to get the paper off the lawn, only to find it hadn't been delivered yet and what I thought was rain was a quite warmish wind, so I opened both doors to get a fresh breeze through the house and turned on the computer by 5.30am to take advantage of my OFF-peak hours and within a half hour that lovely breeze had turned icy cold, so I'm sitting here shivering even though both doors are now closed and I'm wearing my big fluffy dressing gown.
Anyway, the point is, I rarely get to see sunsets or sunrises, since there are so many buildings and trees around here.

Hillbilly Mom said...

I rarely see a sunRISE these days, unless I'm still up from the night before! At least you got to use your OFF-peak hours on your internet!