Monday, September 24, 2018

The Cake Of Contention

As promised, Farmer H brought home some of the $58 (plus tax!) reunion cake for me. I'd told him before he even left for the reunion that I like my cake cold, so if he brought me a piece, he should put it in FRIG II. He also brought home four pieces of chicken, and two slices of ham, along with three packages of Hawaiian Rolls. But we're not here to talk about anything except the cake. THE CAKE OF CONTENTION!

Farmer H arrived home after 10:00 p.m. I heard him stumping around upstairs. I spoke with him by way of hollering from the base of the stairs up to his La-Z-Boy. We decided that I would put off making the pot of sausage, cabbage, and potatoes that I'd planned for Sunday, and we'd have the reunion leftovers for Sunday supper. Farmer H had also mentioned something about taking leftovers to his Storage Unit Store on Sunday morning, to share around with his fellow sellers.

When I went to bed around 3:00 a.m., I didn't notice any cake sitting out on the kitchen counter. So I figured Farmer H had indeed put it in FRIG II. Sunday morning, I didn't get up until after he'd left for his Storage Unit Store. I looked in FRIG II, and saw a foil-wrapped heavy-duty paper plate that obviously had to be the chicken and ham. Because my cake sat on another paper plate,

TOTALLY WITHOUT WRAPPING!

Yeah. Four giant pieces of sheet cake with buttercream icing, totally bereft of any covering to prevent staleness. Who does that? Who puts cake on a plate, and doesn't cover it with anything? Farmer H, that's who. So I got out the plastic wrap, wishing I had checked FRIG II's contents before I went to bed. Of course I had to ask Farmer H about it Sunday evening.

"Are you going to eat any of this cake? Because if not, I'm going to put some of it in the freezer. That's a lot of cake. I can't believe you didn't wrap it up."

"Well, I didn't know how much you were going to eat."

"So you thought I was going to come up and eat it after 10:00 last night?"

"I thought you might have a piece, yeah."

"But you couldn't be bothered to wrap it?"

"I thought you might have some."

"So you thought I was going to eat all four giant pieces of cake?"

"I don't know how much cake you eat."

"That is kind of upsetting. That you assumed I would eat that entire plate of cake last night."

"Well, I didn't think you would eat it all..."

"But you didn't wrap it."

"To tell you the truth, I didn't even think about wrapping it."


The mystery remains as to how Farmer H has managed to survive this long.
_____________________________________________________________________

Let the record show that I wrapped up the two chocolate pieces for the freezer, and covered the vanilla with plastic wrap and left them in FRIG II. A portion is gone, because I ate it with Sunday supper, before taking this picture Monday. Even Mrs. HM doesn't eat THAT MUCH CAKE at one sitting, especially not after 10:00 p.m. 

Farmer H needs to  reconsider the plausibility of his fake excuses.
_____________________________________________________________________

5 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Who does that, you ask? HeWho would do that! He will put any manner of leftovers in the fridge with no cover in a container too large and then congratulate himself on his idea of help.

River said...

Who does that? my kids, that's who. Well, two of them. The third child would wrap and freeze right away after cutting a small potion, the fourth child doesn't even buy cake, let alone eat it. Anyway, taking a look in my two kids fridge, is a real adventure trying to work out what various things on plates are.
Next time you'll have to specify wrapping when telling Farmer H to put cake or anything else in the fridge.
The cake does look yummy :)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
At least he puts stuff away. That only happens here if I specifically command Farmer H to put something in FRIG II. He left out half a DiGiorno pizza once, and Genius ate it the next morning.

***
River,
I would have eaten it, even stale. Can't let cake go to waste!

Anonymous said...

What is leftover cake? I don't remember ever having any!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

fishducky,
Heh, heh! The words DO sound foreign together. But this was TOO MUCH CAKE! Also a phrase that has rarely been uttered.