Friday, August 23, 2019

Farmer H Is Now A Wildlife Photographer

I have no idea why Farmer H sends me some of the pictures that show up in my email. I heard an incoming message today, and glanced at my phone. It was an email from Farmer H that said: Squirrel.

Huh. What in the world could that mean? He was off on a Goodwill tour. Had he found a cookie jar? He collects them. Like you didn't know that. It would be more of a shock to list something he DIDN'T collect. So I was in no hurry to see what that email was about. I can't get a picture to load in the house. It takes 15 minutes if it loads at all. And my phone gets really hot. So I generally wait until I'm on New Delly to open up such an email. Or in town, on the lot of The Gas Station Chicken Store, which has the best Sprint reception.

I forgot all about it until just now, which is 1:35 a.m. on Friday morning. (thus the AM, duh)


That's it. Just a common rodent, perched on our back porch rail. I don't know what's remarkable about it. He's a chubby fellow. Bold. They eat dry dog food out of the pans on the back porch. Where he's sitting is outside the kitchen windows. Farmer H took the photo standing outside the laundry room door. He goes out to feed the dogs every morning.

If Alfred Hitchcock had done a movie here at the Mansion, it would not have been The Birds. It would have been The Squirrels.

I have no idea what that one is holding. It's not dry dog food. I suppose it could be a strip of tortilla that the dogs left behind. Heh, heh! As if THAT would happen. Three dogs, no food left behind.

I'm kind of disappointed that he wasn't a cookie jar.

8 comments:

River said...

Perhaps Farmer H took it knowing you would share it with us downunder people who never would otherwise see a squirrel.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
WHAT? You don't have squirrels??? I did not know that! I thought they were everywhere, like rats. This news is almost as shocking as that time (a few years ago) that The Pony informed me that ENGLAND IS AN ISLAND!

To my credit, I DID know that England has squirrels. They look a little different than ours, but they have them.

River said...

No squirrels, we do have possums that pee on the roof and make the air unpleasant, also scamper about on the roof at night and make weird grunting noises. And all those other weird animals that you don't have like kangaroos and wombats...

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
We have possums, but they don't get on the roof (that I know of). We've found two dead ones over the years. Farmer H tossed one over the fence, onto Copper Jack's property. 10 acres, so it's not like he threw it in the front yard. It's an unmowed field there. The other one, he threw down the big sinkhole. I was not thrilled with that disposal. I saw a live one on the back porch, drinking out of the dogs' water bowl. I think sometimes when they go wild at night, they're probably barking at a possum.

I had a guest speaker who brought a wallaby to hop around my classroom. He rewarded it with a Cheeto every now and then. Which seems like animal cruelty! It was well-behaved. I'm glad I don't look out and see kangaroos in the yard. They seem dangerous to me.

People carry on about koalas being so cute, but from what I've read, they're quite stupid and lazy. So it's just as well that we don't have them, either.

I DID see four deer in the neighbor's horse field yesterday. Not babies this time, but four grown females, so no antlers.

River said...

Koalas are also fairly large, not at all tiny and cute. I have a couple of photos of me holding one at a wildlife park, I'll see if I can find them and post them on Sunday.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
That will be cool. I don't know anyone (else) who's held a koala.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Lucky for you that he used a caption, in case you were unaware of what it was. We had a pet squirrel named Socrates when the twins were teens. Jeff caught it as a baby when a cat was making off with it. Our St Bernard (St. Nicholas) was chasing the cat and the mother squirrel was chasing the whole lot. When the cat released the baby, Jeff grabbed it and took it home. His sister, Jill had a pet duck that was hatched at school. His name was Howard and he was mean! Socrates would scamper through the oak tree by day, but he always came home when the sun went down. Too much info?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Farmer H used the caption because he kept sending me pictures with NO caption, and I didn't know if they were worth opening. So I told him to caption them. I had a little more description in mind...

My childhood friend had a flying squirrel. I'm not sure how they got it. I'm thinking it was injured and they took it in. They weren't ones to have exotic pets. Anything around here is exotic, other than cats and dogs. I knew that geese and banty roosters and GUINEAS (THE DEVIL'S CONSORTS) were mean. Didn't know about ducks.