Friday, August 9, 2019

Just When You Think It's Safe To Go Back In The Gas Station Chicken Store

You may recall that I only recently recovered from the trauma of NO DIET COKE at The Gas Station Chicken Store from July 18 to July 25. Sweet Gummi Mary! The outage lasted almost as long as the beef between DISH and the local CBS affiliate. Except that one's still not over, much to my Big-Brother-loving chagrin.

Anyhoo... I'd once again fallen into my routine, skipping gaily into TGSCS between noon and 1:00, to fill a 44 oz foam cup with my magical elixir. No more roughing it at Orb K with a Polar Pop, in their too-slim cups that tip over easily. I was on top of the world, had it by the tail, it was my oyster.

REEEEE!

That's the sound of a needle scratching across a phonograph record, in case some young whippersnapper is reading this instead of taking a selfie making ducklips. Mrs. HM's gay skipping screeched to a halt on the back aisle of TGSCS, beside the rack of flaming hot chips. What kind of trick was this? The Diet Coke spigot was perfectly normal. No sign made from a snippet of notebook paper proclaiming OUT. So there was magical elixir inside the soda fountain. But the hole for the 44 oz foam cups was EMPTY! And a snippet of notebook paper taped underneath said

OUT OF 44 OZ CUPS. MORE TOMORROW.

I felt faint. This couldn't be happening! I was there. I was ready for my 44 oz Diet Coke. I looked in the cardboard box at the end of the soda fountain counter. Many a time, I've foraged in there for a 44 oz cup when the display was out. But NO! The cardboard box was bereft of 44 oz cups! Not even the misshapen barrel kind to be had!

With my vision growing wavy like a bad sitcom flashback transition, I made a snap decision. I clutched my $5 scratcher winner in my left hand, and my two quarters, one nickel, four pennies, and one dime stacked in my right hand, and turned on my heel and left TGSCS. Not gaily skipping.

Of course I went over to Orb K, which is on my route home, just through the stoplight, under the overpass, and through the other stoplight. At least I'd only have to wait one day to resume magical elixiring.

Tuesday, I rounded the flaming hot chip display at TGSCS, and saw THE SAME THING! It was like Groundhog Day! The movie, not my best old ex-teaching buddy Mabel's favorite holiday. Only this time, I had a $15 scratcher winner in my left hand. The line wasn't long, so I decided to stay and cash in my tickets. (Didn't win anything on the new ones.)

The Woman Owner was working the second register, and waited on me. She said that she was SO SORRY, but the cups were due in that very day, and were late, because they'd seen the truck driving back and forth in front of the store WITHOUT STOPPING! I told her if I'd known that, I'd have been out there flagging them in.

Wednesday, THE CUPS WERE BACK! The Woman Owner was working alone. As I set my 44 oz Diet Coke down on the counter, I said, "Finally, I've got my soda again!" In a happy way. Not shaming her. Not at all.

Woman Owner said the whole problem was due to a new supplier. The old company had abruptly gone out of business, firing all their employees without notice on the previous Wednesday, and not telling their retailers. So I couldn't even blame the Man Owner for this outage.

He would have given me my soda for free, though...

7 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

They should have given you your next TWO drinks for free. They stole precious portions of two of your afternoons. That time can never be made up.

The horror. The travesty. I think you have grounds to sue that supplier.

River said...

I think you should get an extra, empty, foam cup and keep it in the car for just such an occasion. Heck, buy a dozen!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Thank you! I think you are feeling about 1/10 the agony of my situation. But I have since learned something that doesn't hold a candle to my personal horror. I suppose I'll share it...

***
River,
I used to keep TWO extra cups in T-Hoe's rear. They had a refill price back then. One day I walked in with my cup, and saw a notebook paper sign in the soda fountain that said "NO REFILLS" and some other line about refills spreading germs. I guess the health department made a visit.

I guess refills are allowed again, because only yesterday there was another notebook paper sign that said NO CONTAINERS OVER 44 OUNCES could be filled. I haven't seen anyone come in with a foam cup or any container. So maybe it's a new thing. I'll keep my eye out. I'm in there every day, you know!

River said...

Or keep an empty soda bottle with the screw cap and fill that, being capped it won't spill on the way home. Or not, since they might charge you for a bottle of soda.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I can't fit 44 oz in a bottle, though. And yes, they might think it was their bottle.

Auntie Em said...

Puleeeeez stop drinking Diet Coke. That stuff is poison. Yes, it got me through my last few years of work, but when I quit, my migraines lessened, my arthritis got much better, and I could think more clearly.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Auntie Em,
I actually toy with that idea a couple times a week. A few years ago I stopped, and after the initial withdrawal headache for two days, I DID feel better in the joints. As with any addiction, the addict has to be ready to make that decision. I'm getting closer, but not quite there yet.