Thursday, January 16, 2020

A Windshield Kind Of Day

Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug (BUT HOPEFULLY NOT A LADYBUG!). Tuesday, I was definitely a windshield.

I had stopped at the mailbox, and was getting settled in T-Hoe to start to town for my magical elixir. "Mary Jane's Last Dance" came on the radio. I'm a Tom Petty fan, so I looked in the side of my purse for a notecard to write this down. I make a playlist on Spotify of the good songs I hear during my 44 oz Diet Coke mission, and listen to them as I scratch my scratchers later. I didn't have a spare notecard in the side of my purse.

No problem. I looked down inside my purse. Every now and then I stuff something in there that I plan to deal with later. Perhaps a notecard that I've used (kind of like a robber, but not) to shove in the window at the credit union, with the amount of money on it that I'm withdrawing from The Pony's account to pay college bills for housing, or his monthly allowance.

Well, well, well! I did find such a notecard, but even better, I found a money envelope. The kind the bank gives you when you make a withdrawal. I re-use them to save money in one of our safes, for Christmas or insurance or more college money or taxes. You'd be surprised how much it adds up when you put away a little each week. I'm much more likely to keep up with this habit than drive to a financial institution and put it in an account. It's not like you can make much interest these days, anyway.


This money envelope was one that I'd taken OUT of the safe, to use for buying prizes for the games at the Christmas Eve party at the house of my sister the ex-mayor's wife.


Thank you, INDEED! Inside what I thought was an empty envelope were TWO $100 bills! They'd been there since December 22! I didn't have an immediate need for them, but they will be recycled back into the savings envelopes in the safe. It's always uplifting to find $200 you didn't know you had!

The day kept getting better, because when I scratched my scratchers later, to a playlist of

Mary Jane's Last Dance...Tom Petty
Wake Me Up...Avicii
Shine...Dolly Parton
I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)...The Proclaimers
Tiny Dancer...Elton John
Vincent (Starry, Starry Night)...Don McLean

...I had a $10 winner and a $25 winner!

Like John Denver sang, "Some Days Are Diamonds, Some Days Are Stone." This was definitely a Diamond day.

Of course, Even Steven has me on a short leash. The buggy stone day was just around the corner.

9 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Mary Chapin Carpenter has a song that goes through a whole bunch. Sometimes you're the windshield/bug. Hammer/nail.

I love "American Girl" by Petty. Part of my love is due to the movie soundtract it was part of. Do you know which one I'm talkin' about?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I've heard the windshield bug song, but I don't remember if it's on my Mary Chapin Carpenter collection. I much prefer her "I Feel Lucky" song.

Of course I know that movie, Madam! I'm rubbing the lotion on my skin right this minute, because I don't want to get the hose again!

Sioux Roslawski said...

"I Feel Lucky" IS a good one. The video is great, too.

And don't forget to put the lotion in the basket when you're finished.

River said...

And what movie would that be exactly? Please? And a big WOO-HOO to the unexpected find :). I've had unexpected finds in the past, but never that much. I'm a money envelope girl too, stashing away fives and tens whenever I have a few too many, until I have a couple of hundred worth of each, then I cash them at the bank and take those bills home to stash away again, since I obviously didn't need that money to begin with.
I shall now go to youtube and listen to Tom Petty.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
You can bet I will return the lotion to the basket. I wouldn't want anything to happen to that little doggie, Precious...

***
River,
It's from SILENCE OF THE LAMBS! So creepy, yet so good! Here's a link for the lotion scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRqXBsgnYok

If you haven't seen that movie, and don't get all spooked by horrible fictional crimes, I recommend it! Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins are great.

Yes, ALWAYS check the envelopes before throwing them away or using them for scrap paper!

*****************************************
ANYHOO...
I forgot that "American Girl" is also on the "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" soundtrack! Another great movie. I even have the soundtrack. Don't know how I could have forgotten that.

Sioux Roslawski said...

I never saw that one... and I'm up late, hoping for a snow day on Friday.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
It's a classic! Hope you got to join the other hundreds of schools that called off, due to the CHANCE of less than an inch of snow and ice! Newmentia called off at 5:50 a.m., and it's 10:25 now, with only cloudy skies, no precipitation.

River said...

I haven't seen Silence of the Lambs, I must get around to it. I've seen bits of it, a while ago now while channel hopping.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I think you'll get into it, seeing all the parts in order.