Friday, January 17, 2020

And Then I'm Buggin'

As I type this, it's Wednesday, I'm not having a good day. It's a pretty bad day, actually. Still, the worst day of retirement is beating out the best day of teaching, as far as days go. It's not like I HAVE to do anything, other than breathe in/breathe out.

Farmer H warmed up his own supper of beans and cornbread. I doubt he sliced any onion or pepper, because that would be too much work. But he can do without if he's that lazy. I was not notified of an auction trip until the last minute. He's grateful enough that there was a pan of beans and ham to dip from for his supper.

Anyhoo...I went to bed with, and woke up with, a sinus congestion that is making the right side of my face hurt. Yeah, I know, my face is KILLIN' YOU! Good one. My sister the little future ex-mayor's wife used to say things like that to me all the time.

As you know, I've complained about this sinus thing before. It just has to run its course. If I push my nose sideways, or use my vibrator (THE ONE FOR MY HEAD, SHAPED LIKE A BUG, DON'T BE PERVY!), my face feels better for about 10 minutes. I've been blowing bloody snot out one nostril. When I open my mouth wide, my ear cracks. When I turn my head, I hear crackly crunchy noises at the base of my skull. So far, I've taken an aspirin and an acetaminophen. With limited success. (Add to that another aspirin, and an ibuprofen.)

Anyhoo...that's not the only issue of my bad day. At least I got my 44 oz Diet Coke without incident, though the drive was uncomfortable without my vibrator to relieve pressure. I had to go the long way, too, because the tree-trimmers are still working on the county road. Which I found out the day before, coming up behind them, because Farmer H had not bothered to text me this time.

Anyhoo...as soon as I got up and saw a gift that Farmer H left behind on the toilet seat, I was pretty sure the day would not begin well, nor end well. I set about washing a pile of dishes from making beans the day before. I don't seriously know how beans can use up almost every utensil in the silverware drawer, but I had quite a selection to clean.

I put my short Pioneer Woman ceramic knife down into the front edge of the sink. I do that so I don't cut myself reaching blindly through the suds. I wash my Pioneer Women first. Anyhoo...I was about to submerge it when I reached for other silverware with my right hand, and CUT MY FINGER on the blade as my hands met. I didn't think it was bad. I felt the slice, but a quick look didn't show blood or a cut.

Until I looked again.


It's just the TINIEST cut, at the bottom right of my index finger nail. But it's found a way to ooze all around the nail! Of course I couldn't NOT wash dishes. So I plunged it into the suds (YOUCH!) and commenced a-washin'. I'm sure my life fluid was diluted enough in that sink full of water to not sicken anyone (Farmer H) who might eat off those dishes and utensils in the future.

Yes, to Even-Steven yesterday's windshield-diamond day, I had to suffer this buggy-stone day. Life is a balance.
_________________________________________________________________________

Let the record show that by my fourth painkiller, my symptoms abated, and I was able to sleep. The next day was about half as painful. So I'm on the mend. Oh, and another Stevening was in order. Which is told at my less-secret blog today (Friday).
_________________________________________________________________________

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Today was supposed to be a half day. The other day was to be PD (a 4-letter word, you know). I was going to have to spruce up my room, since I was going to be one of the hosts for the PD.

Ice-megedon was supposed to hit. Every. School. District. In the area. Called. Off.

We were off too. We got the call a little after 5.

Now we will have to make up the half day somehow. I'm thrilled to have the time off now... I'll worry about the make up time later.

(I just wish we would have gotten the call last night. That way, I wouldn't have stayed up until 1 in the morning working on creating a couple of tests. Grumble grumble. I guess sometimes nothing makes me happy.)

Sioux Roslawski said...

I read the post on your other blog. At least Farmer H didn't show you the moon. Or maybe he did?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
At least you got a half-day off! It's so much more disappointing when you count on it, stay up late, and then find out that the TV meteorologists are as successful at predicting storms as flipping a coin would be.

***
Sioux 2,
Farmer H knew better, since I am SO OVER the moon! And The Pony has PTSD from that time he almost saw the FRONT MOON, when I sent him up to get my favorite old baby-blue sweatshirt, and found a post-Poolio Farmer H holding it over that area! Good Ol' Baby Blue. He sacrificed, so we didn't have to.

Sioux Roslawski said...

They're all the same. Small, furry prunes...

MY PITA used to say (when Da Boy was in college, and would come home for the summer and holidays), "Boy's gone, pants off," meaning he'd run around in his boxers.

A thin layer of worn cotton saved my psyche many a time...

River said...

Is your sinus congestion from hayfever? Can't you take some antihistamine to prevent or ease it? or what about a saline nasal spray? I usually, well I used to, get a full face ache from the sinuses which would both ache at once, so you have my sympathy. Now I take the antihistamines when I know there's something in the air that will affect me. As far as painkillers go, I never take one and wait to see if it works, I always take two and then I'm fine a half hour later. I've had to learn to blow my nose much more gently than my usual honking after a week of Niagara Falls type nosebleeds for a week late last year. Every day and sometimes twice.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
At least your favorite comfy clothing wasn't befouled! Genius used to loll around on the couch in his boxer briefs upon arising near noon, demanding that somebody (guess who) make him a sandwich.

***
River,
I don't think so. It's wintery now, no pollen. I used to take a snort of saline spray every morning! I need to get some more. At least I haven't had actual nosebleeds. Just spots of it in the snot. The pain is gradually easing. Just a nuisance now. I know it's there, but it's not debilitating.