Monday, January 13, 2020

Fast And FUR-ious

The waters have finally receded from the main low water bridge on the county road. I can take my regular route to town again. We had a bit of loggage wash up at our own low water bridge. Thank the Gummi Mary, it hasn't flooded since they replaced it about 10 years ago.

When I got to the little bitty bridge where the neighbor tried to play vehicular chicken with me, I saw a guy on a tractor shoving wet muddy woodsy stuff off the side. It was FARMER H! I didn't recognize him from the back, with a maroon hoodie covering his head. I'm not enough of a gearhead to recognize the year and model of tractors. There's more than one blue one out here.

Anyhoo...Farmer H didn't know it was me, either. He motioned behind his back for me to pass by, while the tractor was mostly off the road. I waited. My Sweet, Sweet Juno came running up to greet me. She stood gazing lovingly at me through the open window. She's not a jumper. Stayed on all four feet. Smiling. Then came Copper Jack, down Former Homestead of HOS Hill. He gave me a cursory glance. We're not besties, even though I give him as many treats as Jack and Juno.

Farmer H eventually turned around, and pulled the tractor over beside T-Hoe for a short chat. Then I went on home, while he headed down to the mailbox area, to deal with some logs along the side of the gravel road.

My Sweet, Sweet Juno ran ahead of me! She forsook Farmer H in favor of ME. Then I saw Copper Jack join her. THEY are not besties, either. And here came little Jack, from another direction. I guess they'd had enough of exploring the wet woods in 30 degree temps.

Once I scaled the badly blacktopped hill, I let T-Hoe fly! At 20 mph! Here's the thing: those dogs stayed right with me! In fact, they were so close behind T-Hoe that I couldn't see them in the mirrors. Yet when I'd slow a bit to sweave around a pothole, they'd pass me up alongside.

THOSE DOGS WERE RUNNING 20 MPH!

Even little Jack, with his short, short dachshund-half legs! That half-mile stretch didn't faze them. As I was pulling into the garage, Jack and Copper Jack were tearing after a squirrel in the woods behind the Mansion.

Of course I gave them each a healthy scoop of cat kibble, and a slice of five-day-old Nutty Oat Bread. They ate it like it was good.

7 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Juno's such a pretty pup. I hope she got a little extra treat. She's always deserving of it. ;)

River said...

So good to hear your dogs are all fit and healthy. I'm counting Copper Jack too, even though he's not officially yours. I'm pretty sure he'd like to be. Had a giggle at you and Farmer H not recognising each other though.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Aw! I thank you for her compliment. She's all silky now, after her late-summer matted fur has fallen off in favor of her previously-falsely-accused-egg-eating-days' shiny black tresses.

I always give Juno the lion's share. Mainly because she's bigger than Jack, but also because she's MINE, and Copper Jack doesn't give me the time of day.

***
River,
Copper Jack is getting around much better, now that his back injury seems to have subsided or healed. Copper Jack pretends he lives here. Especially when FedEx or UPS shows up in the driveway.

Farmer H and I are not the sharpest tools in the shed...

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I sometimes don't recognize HeWho. I don't tell him. But, there are times when I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror and I don't recognize myself ...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
It's scary to think of Farmer H or HeWho roaming around incognito! You...not so much.

River said...

I'm wondering why you give them cat kibble and not dog kibble.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Dog kibble is their everyday food. There for the eating, in a self-feeder. CAT kibble is in a roaster pan, up on a shelf on the side porch. Out of reach. A delicacy reserved for TREATS! So exotic!

The cats used to prefer the FISH FOOD that Farmer H scattered on the fake fish pond, back when we had giant goldfish in there. The cats would jump down and grab the pellets with their paws, pulling them over the surface of the water to eat. Unfortunately, they also learned to snag the FISH, and over the course of a year, our school was eaten by the felines!