Friday, January 10, 2020

Now I Layer Ye Down To Keep

My satellite internet has been thwarted by heavy rains tonight. More in the forecast. So I'll try to squeeze out some (low)quality posts as weather permits. Just sayin'...if I'm missing one at the regular time, it's most likely due to internet issues, and not to Farmer H finally succeeding in (allegedly) trying to kill me.

Here's a picture of my ill-fated 7 Layer Salad:


It tastes almost like normal. Which is pretty good, if I do say so myself. The lid to this bowl is the kind that presses down below the rim for a good seal. So I didn't put it on yet. I will as the layers settle.
_____________________________________________________________

My layering faux pas put the order (from the bottom) as:

Romaine lettuce
Green onions
Peas
Mayo
Diced boiled eggs
Shredded cheddar (with a sprinkling of sugar)
Bacon
_____________________________________________________________

From the bottom up, the layers SHOULD go:

Romaine lettuce
Green onions
Diced boiled eggs
Peas
Mayo (with two tablespoons of sugar sprinkled on top)
Shredded cheddar
Bacon
_____________________________________________________________

As for the state of FRIG II...there's some 2% milk that we don't drink. I got it for making corn muffins later. There's Farmer H's Diet Mountain Dew. Also, a 2-liter bottle of Ginger Ale, which we never drink, which has been there since...oh...I don't know...maybe...LAST OCTOBER! Farmer H bought it to make a Montana Mule, a drink he had when we took The Pony and his Bestie out for a steak dinner. It actually calls for Ginger Beer, which I bought for him. There are two bottles of it left in the small pantry.

I'm not throwing this Ginger Ale out! I'm waiting to shame Farmer H into getting rid of his own foods he quits eating and neglects to throw out. I had moderate success with a piece of deep dish Chef Boyardee pizza that he left in there for three days. Baby steps.

I think that might be a jar of sliced pickles, which are still within the date. And then the eggs I used in the 7 Layer Salad, and a carton with 3 remaining eggs from our Christmas dinner. I need to use them, or put them in the small carton. Also, the remainder of a big bag of shredded cheddar that I used in the Christmas hash brown casserole. The cheese in the 7 Layer Salad was shredded (by ME, who else) from a big block. It's much tastier than the bag stuff, but you can't tell when it's cooked in a casserole.

Anyhoo...I'd say the mis-layered salad is just OKAY. But I guarantee you we will eat the whole bowl over the next several days.

3 comments:

River said...

Your shredded cheese looks very orange. I remember when I worked in the cheese making factory (we also bottled milk) we occasionally made a huge order of orange cheese which was always destined for Canada. Because they like it that colour I suppose. So thanks for the memory, I used to really enjoy that job. We used to line the pressing tins and next day when the new cheeses had been pressed we would wrap the 40 pound blocks, or some would be quartered lengthways into 10 pound blocks which we also wrapped. The 10 pound blocks could be bought from the factory door and each payday would have several of us lined up to buy a 10 pound cheese. not the 'new' cheese, we could buy the mild or the mature or the vintage as we wished.
The 7 layer salad does look pretty, have you ever thought of making it upside down? With the bacon as the bottom layer.

Sioux Roslawski said...

I don't know about your part of the world, but we're building a boat north of you.

What a delight that will be: floating along with my PITA.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I prefer extra-sharp cheddar, and that's just the color it comes in at The Devil's Playground. I get a 2-pound block, but it takes a while to use it, unless I'm making the holiday hash brown casserole and the salad. So I often get the already shredded kind in a bag, not nearly as good, but it doesn't get moldy.

I won't make the salad upside down, because the bacon would get soggy and the cheese would be compacted and stick together. It might make sure that Farmer H doesn't just take the cheesy bacon part, though, and get his fair share of the lettuce!

***
Sioux,
We are expecting 3-4 inches of rain over two days. Farmer H has already sent me a message that the water is way over the bridge. Most likely a tactic to use as text evidence at a later date, to try to prove he's not really trying to kill me.

The Mansion is high upon a hill, no chance of flooding, our basement has never leaked. We can ride out the storm without needing to leave our sanctuary. While you are floating along with your PITA, I will be trapped like a rat in a cage with mine.

Of course that will never work! He's in town right now, pretending to be selling at his Storage Unit Store. And I will be making a sortie later for my magical elixir and scratchers.