Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Protecting Hillmomba, One Creature At A Time

It's a tireless, thankless job, but somebody has to do it. Mrs. Hillbilly Mom goes out of her way to protect all living things (and some inanimate objects) from Farmer H. It's kind of like a first-time babysitter supervising a toddler. You know something is going to happen, you just don't know what. So you're ever-vigilant, on the edge of your La-Z-Boy, ready to jump in.

Tuesday noon-time, Farmer H entered the Mansion. He was wearing his Carhartt coat against the 25-degree temperature, both hands in his pockets.

"I let Marley out this morning. He has a cough. Sounds like he has the croup! So I thought I'd give him some cough medicine."

Out of his right pocket came Farmer H's hand, clutching a box of children's cough medicine, Devil's Playground brand, grape-flavored, like we used to give The Pony when he was sick.

"I found this expired bottle over in my storage unit stuff. I came to get a spoon."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"You can't give HUMAN cough medicine to a dog! Marley is a little dog! You don't know how much to give him. It's expired! It's for HUMANS! You're not giving that to him. Marley might need to go to the vet. I'm sure he's never had any shots."

"Okay. I won't give him the cough medicine. I just thought it might help him. We'll see if he's better in a couple of days."

Seriously. Farmer H used to do errands for an old man who lived up the street from my $17,000 house. He said that guy took his DOG'S medicine, to help the pain in his legs.

I'm pretty sure species shouldn't intermedicate...

2 comments:

River said...

Message for Farmer H: listen to HM!! Marley deserves better treatment than expired kiddie medicine that might make him ill. I personally probably wouldn't wait too long before going to the vet either. A cough can be a serious thing in a small animal.
Carhartt coat? I'll have to google that and see what it looks like and how weatherproof it is. My old parka is looking a little shabby in its 25th year, although it still keeps me warm and dry unless the rain is a cloudburst.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I heard it myself today. Marley sounds terrible! I hope our other animals don't catch it. They shun him, so maybe not, even though he's still out and about.

Carhartt is a brand of thick canvas-like coats and overalls and vests and stuff. They seem to be waterproof in the snow. Both boys had them growing up, assorted sizes, for their winter coats. Some come with hoods. They're kind of a farmery, deer-hunty style, but are popular with the guys around here. There are fake Carhartts, too. Pretty much the same, but with a different logo.