Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Ears Memory Logic

Farmer H is not functioning on all cylinders. I tend to think his hardheadedness prevents him from processing context clues. That he's so stubborn and intent on being RIGHT all the time, he ignores the facts.

Monday night, we had fried chicken from the Sis-Town Country Mart. Farmer H ate first. I warmed his chicken in the oven to get it crispy again. Set out his plate, and the end of a loaf of Hawaiian Bread. That's all he wanted. Meat and bread. Turned down my offer of a salad or some cheesy noodles from a bag. He was having a breast, leg, and wing.

"Okay, your food is ready. You can come get it. Don't bother to save your leg bone for the dogs. I won't give it to them. I don't trust you to pull off that spiky bone, and I'm not doing it. Here's a baggie for the bones. Do you want to take it in there with you, or leave it here on the counter for when you bring you plate back?"

"Leave it there."

Let the record show that Farmer H was at the stove, putting chicken on his plate, when I instructed him on the leg bone. And that he responded to my question with an answer.

Fifteen minutes later, when Farmer H returned his plate to the kitchen, he said the oddest thing.

"So you don't want me to save no bones?"

"I don't know where you got that idea! Surely you don't think I went to the trouble to lay out that baggie, and explain about the leg bone, if I didn't want you to save ANY bones."

Clearly, Farmer H had heard my instructions. He answered about the baggie. So it's not his hearing. Could be his memory, though forgetting something within 15 minutes is kind of pathetic. As is standing right there beside the baggie, thinking I didn't want anything saved.

He probably just wanted to interrupt my ticket-scratching.

4 comments:

River said...

Isn't short term memory loss an early sign of Alzheimers?

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Of course. I need to commit Farmer H to a home RIGHT NOW!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Selective listening. I had HeWho tested with some cognitive tests they issue to old people. He aced it. I think he hears just fine, just likes to set me on edge. I have made it plain to him that I will put him in a facility should he decide to be demented!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Farmer H would rather answer something nonsensical than admit that he can't hear me. So sometime I think he forgets what he answered, having never really heard the question.