Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Jack Attacked?

I am worried about my little dog Jack. He was fine at 11:00 a.m. when a package arrived, and I petted him on the front porch. He didn't come see me off when I left for town at 3:30. Scarlett herself was even late, coming from the front porch as I was descending the steps on the side porch. She still found her stale hot dog bun dipped in green bean juice. I thought I heard Jack drinking out of the fake fish pond, but saw the curved yellow tail of Copper Jack. My Jack was a no-show.

When I came down the driveway at 4:30, I saw Scarlett standing by the boys' basketball goal that is beside Farmer H's garage door. Jack was standing on the base of it that can be filled with sand to make it sturdy. He never stands on there, so it got my attention. Copper Jack came running under the fence from his own house, barking and stirring up the other two as I steered T-Hoe into the garage.

I got out of T-Hoe, and Scarlett came from the back to greet me. Jack was not with her as he usually is. I figured he was busy tormenting Copper Jack. Again, Scarlett was lagging. Ran back around to the garage door rather than the people door. Then came forward to run through the people door before I closed the big door. No Jack.

As I started up the steps after petting Scarlett, I sensed Jack coming from the side where Farmer H parks SilverRedO. I waited for him to bound up the four steps, so he didn't get under my feet. But he held back. So I went on up. Walking around to the kitchen door, I felt little Jack's nose on the back of my right calf. Aww... it's been a long time since he tried to herd me.

When I opened the kitchen door, Scarlett trotted inside! She usually hangs back until I step in, and while my back is turned, she sneaks in a few steps. I told her to get out, so she did. But then came in while I was putting my purse on the table. AND JACK CAME INSIDE to stand by my feet! He NEVER does that! He doesn't come in the house. He knows the rules, and complies.

"Jack! What are you doing! You get back out."

But he didn't. Scarlett went out. I picked up their treat of half a slice of bread, and some of the soft chicken bones from the night before. The ribby backbone part of the thigh. Scarlett gobbled hers while Jack was still inside! He stood by the door frame. Like he was thinking about peeing on it. Then waddled out. 

SOMETHING WAS WRONG WITH JACK!

It was like his back legs didn't know what to do. Having a dachshund half, I always worry about Jack's back. I've seen this on The Incredible Dr. Pol, when dogs have a disc injury. He gives them a shot of steroids and a painkiller, and they sometimes heal just fine. 

I called to Farmer H to come check on Jack. He went and sat on the steps of the side porch, and tried to feed Jack two ice cubes, since I thought maybe he was overheated. Jack wanted nothing to do with the ice cubes. He walked really slow, his back legs swinging awkwardly side-to-side. Of course Farmer H started patting him roughly on the back.

"STOP! You'll hurt his spine if something is wrong with his discs!"

Jack was trying his best to stay upright against Farmer H's tough love.

"He doesn't seem to be in pain. See? When I squeeze or push on his back? He don't act like it hurts."

"He's trying to maintain. Trying to stay on his feet. Trying to please you. I guess the vets are closing now..."

"Yeah. Ain't no vets open by the time I get him to town."

"Maybe he's just too hot. He usually jumps in the fish pond. But I bet he couldn't get out now, with his back legs like that. I'm going to get some water and pour over him. It can't hurt."

I got a saucepan of water from the tap, and cautioned Farmer H to get up before dumping it over Jack's head and along his back. Farmer H rubbed it in a little on Jack's head. Jack gave a good shake. It wasn't pretty, but he didn't knock himself down.

Farmer H stayed with him a few minutes, then came back in the Mansion.

"He wanted down off the porch, so I lifted him down. If he's not okay tomorrow, I'll take him to the vet. It's $150 minimum, just to be seen. That's what they told my buddy with his cat a couple weeks ago."

"We'll have to decide how much we can spend on treating him. I'm sure he'd need x-rays, and maybe a steroid shot and painkillers. I don't want him having surgery, or trying to run around with his back legs on wheels. I won't let him suffer. I love that little dog."

"We'll see how he is tomorrow. He's easy to catch, and he'll ride in the truck. Not like trying to capture Juno. She was hard to take anywhere."

"Did Jack seem okay when you got home?"

"Yeah. They all followed me over to the shed. Jack went underneath it after something. Then when I came over to the house, I was petting Jack on the porch, and Scarlett tried to wedge herself in, and Jack and Big Jack run off into the woods to chase something."

"Remember that time Jack went under the shed, and came out shaking and foaming at the mouth? I thought he was going to die that time. But he was okay the next day..."

"It was the same shed. He mighta got into something. Or when he was in the woods with Big Jack. He coulda got bit by a snake, maybe."

"I'm really worried about him, but I don't know what we can do tonight."

Before he went to bed, Farmer H went out on the front porch.

"Jack's okay now. I just petted him. He looks fine."

I'm not so sure. I didn't see it for myself. I'm hoping Jack is back to his old self on Wednesday morning. It's going to be over 100 degrees again. Maybe I'll take a pan of cool water and dip his feet in it, and pour some on his belly. At least Scarlett has learned to crunch those ice cubes.

4 comments:

River said...

I hope Jack recovers and if he needs the vet I hope it isn't anything serious. How old is he?

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Jack is 7, but he still thinks he's a young pup. Very active, usually. More on his story coming up.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Doesn't seem like Jack is that old, wasn't it just a short time ago when you were excited for a new pup? I always worry about my dogs. Eddie has had an awful year. His hair is finally growing back and the toughness of his skin has softened. I slather him with excema creamevery night. He seems to like it. I hope Jack recovers quickly!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
We adopted Jack in April of 2016. HOS (Farmer H's Oldest Son) brought him to me. His sister-in-law didn't want to keep her OOPS litter of half doxies/half red heelers! I asked for the one with the longest legs and shortest body. Jack was not a looker in his baby pics, but he's turned out to be the apple of my eye. Jack is acting like himself again. I hope Eddie makes a complete recovery, so he doesn't have to endure vet visits!