Friday, August 18, 2023

Farmer H's Watch Dog

When I left for town a couple days ago, only my loyal Jack came to the kitchen door to see me off. Of course he got the entire scrap of bread as a reward, not having to half it with Scarlett. She's usually the first to accost me as I step out, leaping and bounding in excitement, just for a dry scrap of bread. I didn't worry about her when I rounded to corner of the porch and saw SilverRedO under the carport. Scarlett was probably with the object of her adoration. 

At the end of the driveway, I could see Scarlett pacing along the edge of our gravel road in front of the BARn field. When I drove past, she gave me a cursory glance, then turned her head to check on Farmer H, who was mowing down in the middle of that field. I suppose she was keeping possible attackers away from him.

On Wednesday, I saw Farmer H mowing over in our 10 acres beside the BARn field. The Freight Container Garage is over there, and a bunch of tall bushy cedar trees. Farmer H keeps the grass around them mowed. I didn't see Scarlett anywhere. She had failed to see me off again, much to Jack's delight, as he got an extra round of petting without Scarlett jumping at my chest.

Later, I saw Scarlett on the back porch. I asked Farmer H why she wasn't with him over in the field.

"She was there the whole time. But she didn't pace this time. She laid down in the shade."

Scarlett likes Farmer H more than a dry crust of bread.

6 comments:

River said...

Well, someone has to keep an eye on him, so it might as well be Scarlett who can come running to you if he gets into trouble and needs help.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
If Farmer H had a medical episode and fell off the mower, Scarlett could probably revive him with CPR, the way she pounces on people. Not sure if she could do the breathing part, but she'd have his heart started again after a few hops on his chest.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Sounds like my Toni Louise and her adoration of the chair sitter. She will wait in his chair until he wakes to take over holding that chair down, then she wiggles her fat self behind the chair where she sleeps on the floor until her master gets up and out of the chair. She likes me okay, I feed her, after all, but she loves him!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I compare it to the theory at the teacher lunch table: any man can get a woman. Serial killer, death row inmate, stinky bum... there's a woman out there for every man. So I guess in the same way, any man can get a dog to worship him.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

He put a lot of effort into making her love him. Most dogs prefer me.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
If only he put that much effort into things you WANT him to!