Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Fourth Time's Even More Charming

A couple days ago I mentioned how I took a chance on buying more bratwursts from Save A Lot, and unlike the two previous times, they actually WERE THE FLAVOR ON THE PACKAGE! In this case, Pineapple and Brown Sugar.

I was back in Save A Lot on Monday for bananas and some other stuff I had forgotten. Of course I walked by the meat counter, just to see what was there. I couldn't believe my eyes!

APPLE CINNAMON BRATWURSTS!

The Apple flavor was what we enjoyed so many months ago. I have not been able to find them! Yes. I bought two packs. We are pretty sausaged out right now, it being our third day eating them. I told Farmer H I could put them in the freezer. He said to hold up. That after a few days, he'd be ready for them again.

The date on them is September 2. I'll give them a few days in FRIG II, and if Farmer H is not feeling like a sausage soon, I can put them in the freezer.  

While I was checking out, a customer asked if they had frozen fruit. Asked the checker, not me. So I kept my mouth shut, but I've NEVER seen frozen fruit in Save A Lot. They have a limited amount of brands. I figure that lady was talking about the bags of fruit like melon balls and grapes and peaches like we used to get at Sam's Club, which is just a giant Walmart. The checker told her they would be along the wall in the freezer case. DUH! I'm not sure which one was showing less smarts in this little exchange.

6 comments:

River said...

September 2 is only two days away, 3 for you, so I would put them in the freezer right away and just thaw a couple when Farmer H is ready for them. I'm not a fan of frozen fruit although I do cook and freeze apples ready for pie, or just to eat without all the fuss of making pastry. I quite like frozen raspberries, thawed and "smashed" and stirred into vanilla yogurt.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I had already put those bratwursts in the freezer before I read this! The Pony said he would like to come out if we're going to grill for the Labor Day weekend, and that Apple Cinnamon bratwursts sounded good. So I put them up, figured I'd never find any more. The Pony doesn't know if he'll be here on the 3rd or 4th, depending on his schedule.

The bag of frozen fruit was tasty, because the chunks had a light glaze on them to keep them from sticking together. You could take out as many as you wanted, one kind or an assortment, and then put the bag back for another time. Sometimes I liked them frozen, sometimes I let them thaw.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I used to freeze apple filling and peaches and strawberries when we had the RV park and I had all that readily available. Of course when we moved I gave all that frozen food away, other than what I could fit in the RV freezer. My apple trees have had a big growth spurt thsi season and I am hoping to have some fruit soon. My strawberry plants are quite healthy and spreading, so I know I will have strawberries next year, and blueberries and maybe a few balckberries, but I do miss my peach tree!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
We have blackberries, but haven't picked them since my grandma died. She used to make a cobbler for Farmer H. Sometimes random people would park and go way down in our BARn field to pick our blackberries! Farmer H caught them twice, and asked if it was their land, heh, heh! They said no, that they didn't think it belonged to anybody. Give me a freakin' break! Who did they think was mowing that field to yard-length grass??? What nerve, to drive a mile up a gravel road, and pick berries in a field with a BARn in it!

My grandpa used to have cherry trees. I am not a big cherry-lover, but I did eat my share while climbing in those trees.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I can imagie people feeling entitled enough to steal your berries. Like the man who stole the peaches from my tree and stood eating them with his pocket knife while his wife scolded him!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
At least our thieves were not actively eating their ill-gotten fruit in front of us! I'd say it must be a Missouri thing, but sadly, it is probably not.