Saturday, August 5, 2023

The League Of Self-Important Rumpus-Holes

Of late, Hillmomba is teeming with Self-Important Rumpus-Holes. You can't throw a stone without hitting one. I don't espouse violence, but that's exactly what needs to happen to some of them!

I was waiting in line at the Hillmomba Casey's on Friday around 4:00. Only one cashier was working. He had a line of four people when I went in. It ballooned to eight as a scrawny elder-teen had trouble paying for his snack with a debit card. He kept announcing that the machine wouldn't work, and the bearded cashier pointed out that his card didn't have that magical feature that lets you wave it near an equally magic box. 

After a couple more people bought drinks and treats with plastic, I told the guy beside me that he could go ahead. He declined, but when I insisted, citing that I was going to buy lottery tickets, he agreed. As he was pre-paying for gas with cash, a SELF-IMPORTANT RUMPUS-HOLE barged through the door, and strode straight to the counter.

"I've been trying to call in a pizza for 10 minutes!"

Welp. I suppose that said more about his tenacity or stupidity than it validated his line-jumping. Cashier Beardy had nothing to do with that. Yet he had to address the situation. Which he did by hollering over his shoulder to the kitchen, "Hey, guys. Has the phone been ringing off the hook?" Au contraire. The phone had not been ringing at all, according to the most visible of the cooks.

Self-Important Rumpus-Hole was seething. It might have become a stare-down if Cashier Beardy had suffered this fool. But he went back to giving change, then waiting on me. Self-Important Rumpus-Hole turned to stalk out. Cashier Beardy said to his back, "You might go talk to the kitchen. They're the ones who can take your order." No response.

I was parked next to Self-Important Rumpus-Hole. I had paid no attention when I pulled in, other than to note that there was someone in the car. As I went back out, he was doing something at the trunk, slamming it shut, then walking back inside with a bleached blond lady I can only assume was Mrs. Rumpus-Hole. 

I'll be darned if I'd sit on the parking lot trying to call for 10 minutes, when I could simply walk inside and order in person. Then again, I'm not a Self-Important Rumpus-Hole waiting for a reason to jump line.

4 comments:

River said...

He sounds like a right eejit (idiot), fancy trying for ten minutes before barging in! I'd try once, then go inside. Okay, I wouldn't try phoning at all if I was right there. I'd go inside and order properly.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Well, we already knew he wasn't smart, from the barging in. Farmer H always orders in person. Sometimes he does it with his morning donuts, to pick up later. Other times he just orders and goes back to SilverRedO to play on his phone while waiting. Maybe this guy didn't want to WAIT IN LINE to order, heh, heh!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

They are everywhere! Like the ones who travel neck and neck in the fast lane with the vehicle in the slow lane. I call the self appointd speed monitors

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I'm sure you are not surprised to hear that Farmer H does that. His excuse is that A-Cad is on cruise control. You know, because it's SO HARD to tap the brakes to change speed and get over in the right lane, then reset the cruise by pushing a little button.