Saturday, November 18, 2023

An Improvement, Yet Not

I am getting used to the new 10Box store that replaced Country Mart. I don't like their cart arrangement. But the prices are definitely lower than before. Plus the store still smells new when you walk in the door.

The only down side is that some items cannot be found! I would think maybe I was just stupid, and did not look in the right place, except I've gone up and down every aisle. Here are the items I could not find on Friday.

Microwave Popcorn. I looked in both places where they had the chips, and crackers and cookies. No brand of any kind of microwave popcorn.

Canned Potatoes. I wanted some canned sliced potatoes for making soup. I'm not taking the time to cut up regular potatoes for that. But there were none. Anywhere. I went down the entire canned vegetable aisle twice. They had everything else. No potatoes. Not even in the big trough of piled cans in the produce section. Just green beans and corn and peas there.

Puffs With Lotion. Not only no Puffs, but no tissues of any kind. I looked on the aisle with the toilet paper and paper towels, where they used to be. And on the diaper aisle. And the aisle with the feminine products. No tissues! I asked the cashier for next time, and she motioned to the three aisles I'd just looked on, and said, "All I know is they're over there someplace." Unless they were on the opposite side of the store, by the shampoos and painkillers, I don't know where else to look next time.

Baby Corn. I like to have a can to add to my leftover Chinese takeout, to get three meals out of it. I found the water chestnuts and other stuff, but no baby corn. That's where it used to be. With the Chinese items.

I DID find the cubed hash brown potatoes this time. I suppose they were out a few days ago, because they were in the place I looked and found none at that time.

These items are not vital to my Thanksgiving menu, so I will put off the search until after the holiday meal and leftovers.

3 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I haven't bought canned potatoes in quite some time. Potatoes used to be so cheap, but here lately, the canned ones would work just fine in some recipes. We shop for meat in Murphy at a place called United Grocery Outlet, fresh veggies at Aldi's, and a lot of canned goods are cheaper at the Dollar Tree. Walmart for other things. We plan our trips around appointments and where HeWho might want to eat out. Old people, our world revolves around food and drugs going in and coming out!!

River said...

Could the baby corn be hiding in the canned vegetables aisle?
It does seem odd for the store to not have tissues of any kind, nor microwave popcorn.
Perhaps you could take The Pony along and see if his younger eyes can find them.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
It's like during the Stay-At-Home-Down times, when no canned mushrooms could be found. Now I am well-stocked with mushrooms, and can't find potatoes. I prefer to get my meat at Save-A-Lot, because they don't add anything like water to it to make it weigh heavier. I am reluctant to buy bananas, onions, or potatoes there now after my fruit fly infestation. So unless it's bagged produce like baby carrots, or romaine lettuce, I get it at 10Box.

Woe is the person who asks an elderly, "How are you?" Because he's going to get a detailed answer about their health!

***
River,
It COULD be, but I looked at every type of vegetable while I was searching for the potatoes. Once with my glasses off, once with my glasses on. I will most likely ask The Pony to get me some baby corn during his monthly trip to the Devil's Playground. The only place I didn't look was on the Mexican section of the ethnic foods aisle. I don't think baby corns are used for that, but you never know what a shelf-stocker might think.

10Box might have the tissues and the popcorn, but I just can't find where they're hiding them.