Friday, November 24, 2023

Mrs. HM Is Foiled Again By The Pony

I was lucky to have The Pony to help me during the last hour of Thanksgiving Dinner preparations. I had most things ready to go, due to prepping them on Wednesday. So they just needed to be slid into the oven, except for the 7 Layer Salad, which took two hours. 

I made sure to set out the Kerrygold butter so it would be warm enough to spread. I bought the big block, which fit on my butter dish on its side, but was twice as tall as it should be for the lid to fit. That didn't matter. I figured I'd wrap up what was left in the original gold foil wrapper. I folded its sides in, so as not to get butter on anything, and set that wrapper over on the counter by the stove, on top of the bag of onions that I keep there.

The Pony got everything else warmed up and set out, while I directed him from a comfortable sitting position at the kitchen table.

As we were finishing up the meal, I commented that I wished people had sliced their butter along the top of that block, rather than straight down, on the end.

"Then the lid to the butter dish would have fit on it. But that's okay. I'll just wrap it back up like I planned, if you can get me the wrapper."

"Um. What do you mean?"

"I put it over there on the counter."

"Wait! You wanted to save that? I threw it away."

"PONY!"

"I can get it out of the trash for you. It's on top."

"No! I'm not George Costanza eating an eclair off a doily on top of a magazine in his girlfriend's wastebasket." That reference was lost on The Pony, who was never a Seinfeld fan. But Genius would have caught on in an instant. Here's a 43 second clip on YouTube.  

"I thought it was trash! It was on the onions!"

"Did you throw away the onions? No. Why would I carry it AWAY from the wastebasket to put on the counter if it was trash?"

Anyhoo... I sliced the butter chunk horizontally, so it was short enough to have the cover on the dish. We had eaten enough that the two sections just fit, end to end. 

And The Pony reminded me:  "I did the same thing last year..."

2 comments:

River said...

Perhaps next year you will slice off the excess first and wrap it up so the lid fits on the container.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Probably not. Kerrygold is a firm butter, and easier to slice when it has set out to soften. By that time, I am sidetracked by other duties, like bossing The Pony around!