Monday, December 25, 2017

Gifted Beets, Very Pretty

Gifted beets, very pretty, and the thought behind it was sweet
But the stuff that it's made of...well...that'll still taste like a beet
Gifted beets, very pretty, and the thought behind it was sweet
But the stuff that it's made of...well...that'll still taste like a beet.

See there? Mrs. Hillbilly Mom coulda been a songwriter back in the day! Maybe in a trio called Peter, Paul, and The Little Future Mrs. Hillbilly Mom.

Farmer H played Santa a couple weekends ago, and the lady in charge gave him a gift. Two gifts, but we'll get to the other one maybe tomorrow. Anyhoo...Farmer H came in with this:


He actually had to go by her house and pick it up. Sounds kind of fishy to me, but then, this is real life, and not some 60s TV sitcom, or a wacky 70s romantic comedy. So I'm sure her motives were pure. Her daughter was one of Santa's visitors. I don't think she needs a new daddy.

Anyhoo...it's a small jar, and quite photogenic. A nice gift. Handmade. It's the thought that counts. It's not Chex Mix, though. Everybody likes Chex Mix. Beets? Not so much. I confess that a beet has never crossed my lips. And I don't plan on it ever happening. Farmer H says that he doesn't like beets. But that he might try one. He's really more interested in the jar. It might surprise you to hear that he COLLECTS Ball jars!

Maybe Genius and his Friend would like to try one at Christmas dinner. I'm pretty sure The Pony won't.

At least I got a Christmassy colorful picture to share with you, if nothing else.

Merry Christmas, from Mrs. HM and Santa and his beets!

10 comments:

River said...

Perhaps the actual gift is the jar, not the beets, if the gifter knows Farmer H collects those jars.
I've not eaten beets in decades. I still remember the way they soaked through bread and made salad sandwiches soggy and unappetising way back in the 60s.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Merry Christmas to you and your beets! I actually like them, HeWho would swear he has never eaten one and would not. He has and he did not complain. Of course it was cleverly hidden among some tastier vegetables. The man has no idea what he eats. I grew some beets and tried to make brownies. I din not care for them, but one of my campers loved them.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I think they meant to give Farmer H the beets. Probably because, well, nobody really LIKES beets. Except blog buddy Kathy! I don't think these folks know Farmer H all that well, except that he mentioned how he loves blackberry cobbler.

ACK! A beet sandwich? No thank you, Ma'am! My mom used to make green bean sandwiches, and they looked pretty soggy. Of course, they had so much bacon grease used in cooking them that they were probably a meaty-tasting sandwich ingredient. My mom also used to ladle her ham and beans over a slice of white bread and eat it with a fork. My dad couldn't stand that. Cornbread or nothing with it for him.

***
Kathy,
Thanks! Merry Christmas to you and your HeWho! Not sure how HeWho could not see the brightly colored beets hiding in those vegetables! As for the beet brownies, another hearty "No thank you, Ma'am!"

Sioux Roslawski said...

I actually prefer lemon trees. But that's just me.

A gift of beets? Unless someone says they love beets and is then presented with some beets, I'd say this was a horrible gift.

Beets are one of the worst vegetables. I've had them once in soup, and there was enough tomatoes that the soup was edible. But never again have I had beets in any delicious form...

Anonymous said...

I like beets!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I hear that the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat. But then again, so are beets. I would imagine that even after being soaked in rum for a quarter of a century, then double-dipped in chocolate, and served on the chest of Viggo Mortensen, they would be nigh non-palatable. Except for blog buddy Kathy.

***
fishducky,
And you! Impossible to eat for anyone but Kathy and YOU! If you don't want the rum and chocolate coating and Viggo, you can sent them to me and Sioux.

Sioux Roslawski said...

NOTHING served on the chest of Viggo would be non-palatable. NOTHING.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I was sure you would feel that way.

Amanda said...

I'm a huge fan of the Great British Bake Off - but at least once a season, some idiot puts beet into chocolate cake. That sort of muddle-headedness is why the sun set on the British Empire.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Amanda,
That's just WRONG! It ruins a perfectly good cake. I won't pass judgement on the British Empire...