Saturday, December 23, 2017

Not Exactly A Symbol Of The End

Well. Funny I should lead with a picture of a misbegotten Oreo yesterday. Today I have another picture of an Oreo. Or NOT!

I made another Oreo cake today, for personal use at Christmas dinner. I can only make so many things at once in my oven, you know. Once I was done, having constructed the *saddest Oreo cake ever, I had three Oreo halves left. They were on a paper plate that I put beside the sink, on top of the aluminum cake pans that I would wash later. I draw the line at three sinks of dishes a day. I thought maybe The Pony or even Farmer H might want the cookie halves. I am not an Oreo fan.

After straightening up, and making a run to town for YOU KNOW WHAT, I came home to find more problems to deal with. Finally, I had time to sit down to my lunch at 4:00. I came upstairs at 6:15 to get supper for The Pony and Farmer H. Imagine my surprise to see this:


Farmer H was out in the garage, bringing in some cheapo gifts that we pass around at my sister the ex-mayor's wife at her Christmas Eve party. When he came in, I began my interrogation.

"What's this?"

"I don't know."

"Wasn't there something on there?"

"Oh. Two cookies. I ate them."

"Didn't it occur to you that maybe you should throw away the empty plate?"

"No."

Exactly. He can't even feel guilty, because the thought never occurred to him.

Not exactly a sign of the impending apopadopalyspe. More like status quo around the Mansion.
___________________________________________________________________

*It baked with a hump in the middle of one layer, then cracked when cooling. I had to invert it so the crack was on the bottom, and the hump on top. Then when I put the other layer on top, it didn't fit flush, but at least I'd planned on that, and put extra icing around the edges between the layers. Then when I put the icing around the sides of the cake, it looked all skewed and tilty. I'm sure it will taste just as good as always, though. For those who eat it.

3 comments:

River said...

Cakes that form a hump in the middle get that bit sliced off so the cake is even, then the 'hump' is placed on top of the icing and decorated. Or iced separately as an extra small cake.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes Even Steven even gets to your Oreo cakes!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
DANG! How did I miss that memo? As you can see, I'm definitely not a baker. Not even from a box mix. Now I'll know what to do if it happens again. All these years, and it's the first time...

***
fishducky
That he does! He's very good at his job.