Sunday, September 22, 2019

Possible Overkill

I stopped at the deli counter of Country Mart for a BBQ pork steak. I think the worker was a new girl. First of all, she didn't know the CODE NUMBER for a pork steak! Not even after carrying it in the foam container to the list of prices and codes taped on the back of the soda fountain.

DeliLaLa, as I shall call her, turned to holler toward the empty bakery counter. "Can you help me? I don't know how much to charge for just a pork steak."

A dude came out of the closed-door, windowless kitchen area. He said, "961." Then walked over to the list, and pointed it out to her. "Entree: meat loaf, roast beef, pork steak. Right there."

She thanked him, and turned to walk toward the bakery counter!!! WAIT! She was holding my BBQ pork steak! Where was she taking it?

The dude came over to the deli counter, and asked if I needed anything else. I told him no, just the pork steak, and I knew the number myself, since I'd thought it was the price the first time! He went back to the hermetically sealed kitchen, and as he passed by DeliLaLa, I saw what she was doing with my pork steak!

DeliLaLa had wrapped the whole container in several layers of plastic wrap! What in the NOT HEAVEN? Did she think it was going to escape? That I was going to take it out and eat it, and not pay? It's not like I had sides inside. No corn juice to slosh out, no gravy. They've never wrapped it before, as evidenced by my original tale.

DeliLaLa is obviously an enemy of the environment!

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I'm surprised she didn't double up the foam containers, plastic-wrap a gross of plastic straws to the outside of the container, and let loose a dozen helium balloons into the sky to celebrate your purchase...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Okay, Madam, that made me snort and chuckle. I snuckled! The plastic straws were the best part.

River said...

You should have gently told the poor child, "these don't get wrapped sweetie, just take all that plastic off again", that would be sure to stick in her head for next time.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Oh, no! Her head might have exploded. She took it hard that the price had been on that list the whole time.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Well, you certainly won't get any stains from anything with all that wrap!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
You ain't a-woofin'! I almost didn't get any FOOD with all that wrap. Had to un-mummify my container to get at it.