Monday, September 2, 2019

Technology Thumbs Its Nose Once Again

I'm used to whacking my garage door opener on T-Hoe's dashboard, and turning it seven ways from Sunday before it will open the garage door. I know that when I look at the tire pressure readings, the front tires are actually the back tires, and vice versa. I know that only the back section of T-Hoe's seat-heater will warm. And that only my left side mirror will fold in and out at the touch of a button, while the right side stays fixed, and only hums.

I've become accustomed to the Mansion smelling like the subterranean level of an outhouse after Farmer H does his business, due to the ceiling light/fan not working. I reach into the belly of the FRIG II freezer beast for 13 fistfuls of ice twice a day, because the dispenser thingy only crushes.

I know not to expect my bank's ATM to dispense the correct amount of requested money (don't get me started!). That Country Mart's card-reader malfunctions indiscriminately for all customers. And that my pharmacy apparently can only run transactions as credit, not debit.

What I did NOT expect was for Save A Lot to reject my debit card! Seriously! I go there at least once a week. No problems. Chip read.

Sunday, I popped in to get barbecue supplies. Hamburger, bratwursts, sour cream, French Onion dip, potatoes, onions, pickles, mustard, BBQ sauce, beans, paper plates, salsa, buns. Yes. More than I usually buy there. In fact, the total came to $44 and change. Not a big deal.

I pushed my debit card into the chip reader, and the gadget said my card couldn't be read. I figured maybe I'd slid it in at an angle, rather than straight. I tried again. A delayed message of the same thing. It's like the cashier was off. Like maybe she wasn't hitting whatever she had to do for me to put in my card. I don't know how those things work. I must have tried five times. In fact, I was ready to have her shove my cart aside, while I went out to T-Hoe for the checkbook or cash.

The cashier, a young gal, spun that gadget around. Held out her hand for my card. Tried this and that. Looked like she was doing exactly what I had done. After three tries, she got it to work.

What in the NOT-HEAVEN?

I don't know if the readers were overwhelmed on a holiday weekend, or what. I guess I'll have to go in there with backup cash next time.

5 comments:

River said...

Here's a trick we checkout people sometimes use; if the card doesn't swipe the first time, we wrap the swipe edge in a lens-wipe thingy and swipe it through to clear the reader, because it picks up "stuff" from so many cards, usually that clears it and the card can be swiped. I don't know if the same can be done with a chip reader, but maybe clean your card with a lens-wipe towelette now and again. And put a new battery in your garage door opener.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
This checker must not have known the tricks! She just kept jamming it in there like I had been! I can't pry the garage opener open. That's what keeps me from solving my own problem, and Farmer H would rather deny there's a problem than pop that gadget open for me. :(

River said...

Take it with you when you buy the battery and ask the assistant to do the changeover because you can't open it.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

My card reader does that sometimes, usually when I am super busy. Maybe it has a brain fart? Like I do at times when I am overwhelmed.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I'd have to have them open it first, because I don't know what kind of battery it takes.

***
Kathy,
I don't know the deal. That checker didn't use any special technique to fix it. I'm surprised she didn't just whack it with her fist.