Saturday, September 7, 2019

The Biggest Scam Since Bottled Water

Way back in the pre-Genius days, around 1993, I was driving an hour each way to work in the city. I had my favorite car of all time, a cherry-red 1990 Toyota Corolla. As needed, I filled it up with gas at the 7-Eleven out by the park. Sometimes I'd buy a bottle of water to take in my lunch. Same lunch every day. Cheddar cheese on a plain bagel with yellow mustard, and pretzel sticks in a baggie.

One day the clerk, a middle-aged woman, laughed as she rang up my purchase. "I never thought I'd see the day when people paid for WATER!"

How times have changed. The 7-Eleven went out of business. Bottled water is big business.

Let the record show that for months now, I've been adding lime juice to my 44 oz Diet Coke. It all started when Farmer H wanted to make that drink he had at a steakhouse on a visit with The Pony. It was a Montana Mule, and one of the ingredients not whiskey or ginger beer was lime juice. I bought limes, and some were left over. I found the addition to my magical elixir to be delicious, so I started buying limes every week.

Cutting limes to put in a daily 44 oz Diet Coke grows tedious. I have to roll them to loosen the juices. Then cut them into fourths. Squeeze over a strainer. Scrape the pulp out of the strainer so it doesn't clog the sink drain. Rinse the strainer. Dispose of the lime skins. Wash my hands.

Last week, I saw the plastic bottles of lime juice next to the limes at The Devil's Playground. I figured that would be SO MUCH easier! Just pop the top, and squeeze in my lime juice. No fuss, no muss. I bought three of the plastic bottles instead of a bag of 10 limes.


I didn't pay much attention to the instructions. Only the part about poking a tiny hole in the top once you pop the lid open. It makes no nevermind to me that one squeeze is the juice of half a medium lime. I usually put two small limes worth of juice into my 44 oz Diet Coke. And who's to say how much is in a squeeze. I thought just looking at how much was going in would allow me to include the regular amount. It probably did. However...

This stuff is terrible!

Even though the bottle says the lime juice is from concentrate, I find it hard to believe that this juice was ever inside a living lime. No matter how much I squeeze in, I don't get the lime flavor. All I get is an acidic burning in my stomach by the end of the evening. I'd be hard-pressed to identify lime as a flavor if given a blind taste test. It's like adding acid-water to my beverage.

It's so terrible that I'm thinking of telling Farmer H, "You can have this lime juice if you want it."

I might not notice the issue if I was mixing it in a Montana Mule.

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

You might look in the baking aisle. I've gotten key lime juice (bottled) and it's delicious. I wonder if there's a decent brand of bottled lime juice, and you got something that was a bit off-brand?

I'm sorry it was so terrible. I know what it's like to look forward to something, and it's atrocious.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
The limes I buy in a bag are, I think, key limes. Little and light-colored and thin-skinned. Very juicy. Sometimes they're mixed with the thick-skinned dark green limes, which are virtually DRY! I hate crossing the portal of The Devil's Playground, but I'm tempted to make a special trip for limes.

A regular bottle of lime juice would surely be better than this plastic squeezy thing. Because it couldn't possibly be worse!

River said...

This is why I keep buying real lemons instead of the bottled lemon juice. The bottled stuff is acceptable and if I need a tablespoon or so for a sauce recipe, for devilled chicken wings for instance, I'll use it, but for things that require lemon juice to be squeezed on after cooking, I'll use fresh lemons every time. Pancakes with lemon juice and sugar, or chicken schnitzels with a squeeze of fresh lemon.
Have you tried NOT squeezing the limes and just adding a thickish sliver of lime to the bottle?

Sioux Roslawski said...

Here is the kind I have, and from what they say, it's available at the Devil's Playground:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pack-Nellie-Joe-s-The-Original-Famous-Key-West-Lime-Juice-16-fl-oz/613785725?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227266280407&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=316184971091&wl4=pla-583474469478&wl5=9052894&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=613785725&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjwzdLrBRBiEiwAEHrAYob1nOaaG6y4AS6MQpgpHbLPv9EKDDBozHHgk8MZ6kslLNCmQO9ECxoCt-IQAvD_BwE

I've had it in my fridge for years, so I just tried a bit. It tastes like lime (to me) but on its own, is certainly acidic.

Try it, and if you don't like it, you can slam me on the internet. You won't be the first. ;)

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I used to squeeze a little, then drop the quarters into the cup. It's fine for a few hours, but since I keep drinking my magical elixir for about 8 hours, they start to ferment! I'd noticed the same things when I'd get a cherry limeade from Sonic, who drops a lime slice in there.

Sioux,
FOR YEARS? Is it like honey, undecayable? I'll keep an eye out for it on my next trip to The Devil's Playground.