Saturday, January 25, 2020

I Play One On The Innernets

Since I diagnose my own quasi-illnesses on the innernets, I figured I might as well give Marley a virtual checkup. I have come to the conclusion that Marley has kennel cough. The main clue being the sound he makes, which matches up info on a search for "why does my dog sound like a goose?" Okay. I didn't type that. I just did "dog cough" and saw that as an option.

Apparently, it can be caused by a bacteria, and is highly contagious. Or also by cold weather, or doggie asthma, or I don't remember others. Since Marley has been penned up, and not around other dogs until AFTER the cough, I figure he didn't catch it from another dog. However, it WAS a cold night before the day Farmer H reported Marley's cough. So I'm thinking that's it.

Despite sounding like he's knock-knock-knockin' on death's door, it seems that according to the innernets, Marley will likely make a full recovery in three weeks or less. Without treatment. That vets are usually not inclined to prescribe stuff for it. Heh, heh. I bet the innernets didn't do a vet survey! They have to make their money somehow!

Anyhoo...I was correct that you shouldn't give expired human cough medicine to dogs! I must be a genius, ya think? While some sites recommended garlic and lemon juice, others declared that garlic is toxic to dogs, and that vitamin C is also not good for them. The one thing that seemed agreeable was HONEY.

Not a lot of honey, but 1/2 to 1 full tablespoon, 3 to 4 times a day, for a 30-50 pound dog. I'd say Marley is about 10-15 pounds. So doesn't need much. Not that it would hurt him, probably. Farmer H said he'd give Marley some honey. I said "NOT ON MY SPOONS!"

Anyhoo...I don't know if Farmer H did the dosing or not, but last I heard of Marley's cough, around 5:00 a.m., it was not as forceful. Maybe he's gradually getting over it. Maybe the 100% humidity from all the mist and snow and fog acted as a natural humidifier. Maybe he was not as barky since he spent the night on the end of the porch in a spare dog house.

I think Marley is probably going to be okay. I'm not as worried now. I need to check with Farmer H about the honey. We have TWO honey bears, each half full, from just not using honey, and from Genius buying one as an additive for Farmer H's homemade beer.

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Perhaps Farmer H simply squeezes some honey, straight from the Honey Bear, into Marley's mouth.

Or better yet, maybe he lets Marley suckle on the Honey Bear, like a guinea pig water bottle...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Well, Madam, your mission has been accomplished. I am GAGGING at the thought, and fear that I may have that image for infinity when my gaze falls upon a Honey Bear.

Of course in doing so, Farmer H would put BACK the Honey Bear, next to the UNSUCKLED Honey Bear, and I would never know which one...

River said...

Uh-Oh, you need to find out how Farmer H gave the honey to Marley. Hopefully he just drizzled a bit onto a dog dish and let Marley lick it from there, which is what I would have done.
Garlic is toxic for dogs and for cats too, along with chocolate. I'm not sure about Vitamin C, which I take in tablet form, but as juice from a fruit I wouldn't recommend it either for animals.
Glad to hear Marley's cough isn't so bad now.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Today: Sioux 1, Val 0.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I got the scoop. Story coming up. I have no plans to dose Marley with garlic! Farmer H is not known for measuring out correct dosage, even for himself! He takes liquid cough medicine in a serving spoon. Every four hours, even setting an alarm to wake up and take it. Ridiculous! It's not like an antibiotic that needs such a schedule.

***
Sioux,
I hate it when that happens!