Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Surely She Wasn't Apologizing On MY Behalf

Mrs. HM has a bee in her bonnet! It's not a fired-up late-July bee, all agitated and aggressive. Only a first cold-snap bee, buzzing lazily, not happy, just a little ticked off.

Monday, I went to the local Hillmomba Casey's, to cash in scratchers. It was 2:00, 23 degrees, overcast, and not a busy time at Casey's. Two cars were at the eight gas pumps. A Frito-Lay panel truck was parked off to the side. And NO cars were in front of the store when I got there. One pulled up as I walked inside.

One clerk was working. A lady was scanning her card. Another lady waited behind her, and then me. A guy came in the door after me, but I didn't notice where he went. The Card Lady paid and left. Next Lady only had two items. Paid cash, left. I handed my two tickets to the clerk, who scanned them, and asked if I wanted more. Yes. I said the three numbers of the tickets I wanted. She tore them off, and rang them up. Handed me the tickets and my $5 change. Easy peasy, right?

"I'm sorry for your wait," the clerk said to the guy behind me as I left the counter.

Hold on there, Sister! Surely you were not implying that I held up the line! I am a CUSTOMER, by cracky! Probably spending more than that guy behind me. Who had the good manners to tell her "Oh, that's all right." Why in the Not-Heaven would the clerk apologize for his wait? He wasn't even behind me when I stepped up to the counter for my transaction.

I know the clerk was trying to give good customer service. She was very polite to me. No heavy sighs like I get at Orb K. My bonnet-bee is more concerned with the perception that I was the reason for the guy's wait. It's not like he was a vendor, from the Frito truck, and had to stand off to the side while I did my business. I see them at the Gas Station Chicken Store, and let them go ahead of me. This was a regular customer. Same as me.

WE ALL WAIT! It's called taking turns. That's what happens in a line! How else are customers supposed to keep that store in business? How are they supposed to pay for their merchandise? It's not like I bought a pack of gum, and had to try three different credit/debit cards to complete my purchase.

Anyhoo...maybe my bonnet-bee is not really all that agitated about the WAIT comment. Maybe it's more about the couple minutes I was sitting in T-Hoe, sending a text to The Pony, and seeing the cranky clerk arrive for her shift.

I breathed a sigh of relief that I'd avoided this Denizen of Convenience. She always has an expression like she smells something bad. Anyhoo...she climbed out of her sedan, and started up the sidewalk. Right in front of T-Hoe,

SHE BENT OVER AND PICKED UP SOMETHING AND PUT IT IN HER POCKET!

I'm pretty sure the Denizen of Convenience picked up my rightful penny.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

You were robbed. Call 911. That was your penny!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I think so too! What ELSE would she have picked up? I can't believe I missed one. I looked all around when I walked from T-Hoe to the sidewalk. I guess she had a better reflection of the not-sun off it from her angle.

River said...

Dang it, a missed penny, now in the pocket of Miss Cranky-pants. I wonder if the first girl is one of the few people who still think men's business is more important than women's and they shouldn't be kept waiting?

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
That is a possibility! The men around here certainly promote that concept. She could have been brought up that way.