Sunday, January 12, 2020

Nabes Are Like A Box Of Chocolates

Our neighbors are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.

Friday, I was almost home. Making the last turn on the gravel road, heading up past the barn where Marley bit the neighbor who Farmer H was returning a tractor part to. WHOA, NELLY! I had to slam on T-Hoe's brakes, and back up. Coming at me was a dark red truck, showing no signs of having brakes. I'm sure he had them. He just didn't want to USE them.

So...I backed up about 20 feet, off that little bitty low-water bridge, back onto the main gravel road that takes you to Mailbox Row. Red Truck came barreling out over that little bridge, as if he was gaining speed! I'd made room for him to get past me on the road, but he veered left, and went up Former Homestead of HOS Hill.

Well. That was certainly rude. I need to ask Farmer H who drives that truck, so I can know who I'm annoyed with.

Saturday, I was just past that area on the way to town. At the top of the hill that thwarts non-T-Hoes in snow and ice. A smaller black SUV was starting down that hill. It stopped. I was way over on my side, so I knew there was room. I saw the window going down. So I stopped, and put my own window down.

"The water is WAY over the bridge! Nobody's getting across it for a while."

"Okay. Thanks. I'll go out the other way."

I already knew this, because Farmer H had sent me a text a couple hours before. But I DID appreciate her helpfulness. I have no idea who it was, but I've seen that car out here going past the Mansion. She was an older lady (heh, heh, probably younger than me) with short black hair, looking pretty rough.

You never know which neighbor you're gonna get.

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Yeah, some are nutty, some are squishy, and some are hard-to-take (like those ones with the hard, unindentifiable center).

Some you just have to poke, you find out what they are, and you leave them alone.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
You are correct, Madam! Some you want to crack open, and have nothing else to do with!

Sioux Roslawski said...

I was going to say, "Some you poke in the bottom" because that is what I used to do, and if it was a coconut one, or a jelly one, I'd put it back in the box.

However, I imagine you probably wouldn't poke a neighbor in the bottom.

What a scamp I was!

River said...

At least you don't live close enough to hear EVERY LITTLE THING that goes on with them.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Correct again, Madam! I have no desire to poke my neighbors in the bottom! I was not smart enough with the chocolates. I'd squeeze them to peep inside, then press the crack back together. I don't want to be pressing my neighbor's cracks, either!

The chocolate I did not want most was a white cream center. Like those creme drops. YUCK! Sadly, it looks like coconut through a crack, which I LOVE! I also like the jelly ones. We could have been a young same-sex Spratt couple. Between the both of us, we'd lick that chocolate box clean!

***
River,
Yes, you have my sympathy for your closeness. I've had my apartment days, and the memories are not fond of some of my wall-sharers.