Monday, May 25, 2020

Something New To Complain About

What's with Dairy Queen and their sizes? C'mon! I know we have an insider in our midst. Spill it! WHY do they only have two sizes, which they call REGULAR and LARGE? That's different from all the normal fast food menus! Whatever happened to small, medium, and large? Let's not even talk about child-size or mini!

The Pony wanted some food brought home from my trip to town. He said he wanted to try the Dairy Queen Alaskan Fish Sandwich. He saw a picture of it on the menu last week when he got a Chicken Strip Basket. So Sunday, I put T-Hoe in line for the drive-thru. Not sure if they're letting people go inside yet. There have been few to none cars in their parking lot.

Anyhoo... I was the 7th car in line. Lucky for me, the 5th car peeled out of there in disgust after ordering. So my wait was ONLY 14 minutes. That's way faster than my bank, and they're not even frying food!

Anyhoo... I had ordered small fries for myself, and an Alaskan Fish Sandwich Combo for The Pony, medium, with a Sprite. That's how I said it into the speaker. Nobody corrected me. Just said it would be $8.53. It wasn't quite as much as I expected, but I never go there.

When I paid, the gal handed out the Sprite. It looked small to me. Then she gave me the bag, and said, "Two small fries, and a fish sandwich."

"Wait. I actually ordered a medium. But you gave me a small combo."

"We only have two sizes. Regular, and large."

"But you just said the fries are small."

"That's regular."

"So you only have TWO sizes?"

"Well, unless you count the kid's size."

I know the drivers behind me were holding out their thumbs and fingers and squishing my head, for holding up the line. But I didn't want to disappoint The Pony. It's not like I'd have to face his wrath, were it Genius instead.

Dairy Queen needs a picture of all the cup sizes (not in a Frank Costanza kind of explanation) on their menu board, with the names of the sizes. Because if someone wants a small, they have to order a child's drink. Unless they're having a Blizzard, in which case they want a Mini.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Yes, food places should have a set of sizes they all follow. Small, medium, large, extra large--those are all sizes people can understand. A kiddie version, or mini, is fine as well. Beginning with medium? That's crazy!

And yes, this is the Summer of The Pony, so he mustn't be disappointed in any way. Start letting him ride behind you (so he can sit in the spot he loves). Let HIM choose what to watch on TV down in the basement. Allow him to determine the appropriate pool-wear for everyone when Poolio is being used. Pleasepleaseplease.)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Or even call the two SMALL and LARGE. To have a MEDIUM implies that it is the middle between something smaller and something larger!

Sweet Gummi Mary! I just GAVE The Pony the last piece of my cheesecake! I buy him a lottery ticket out of MY money. And bring him mis-sized fast food. In gratitude for my sacrifices, The Pony can't even carry my bottled Diet Cokes down to the basement!

He's not riding behind me unless he cleans off the seat. He DOES choose what we watch, from my DVR list. I don't partake of Poolio, but I'm betting The Pony would simply decree that swimmers must WEAR SOMETHING. Especially after that trauma involving Farmer H and my favorite old baby blue sweatshirt.

River said...

I miss the days of small, medium, large and family sized. And there were baby portions for little kids. Nowadays, small is enough for me, medium is what I call large and large could feed a family, unless they want leftovers. it depends on what you buy and where though. A lot of places have what they call "large" and the price certainly is "large" but not the serving. This is why I no longer buy fast food and cook at home.
Tonight is honey/soy/garlic chicken strips and roasted vegetables.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I generally stick to the questionable quality of Hardee's, across the street from Dairy Queen. But The Pony asked for it. I haven't been to McDonald's or other chains in years. Since The Pony left for college. My new fast food is Country Mart Deli. I commend your cooking efforts. I'm so lazy.