Saturday, May 16, 2020

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Wronger

If I was a conspiracy theorist (which I AM), I'd say that something was amiss with that mask I was forced to wear to visit my doctor nurse practitioner in order to get prescription refills!

Seriously! Since the day after my appointment, I haven't felt right! Something is wrong. As I told The Pony (much to his horror and my delight) "My neck balls are swollen." Heh, heh. That's what one of my college roommates called those lymph glands in your neck, under your jaw. They hurt when I squeeze them, too. I know you are yelling at your computer monitor, "STOP SQUEEZING YOUR NECK BALLS!" I only do it a couple times a day (okay, maybe 15) to see if I'm getting better.

Also, I sneezed randomly a couple times a day. My throat is trying to get sore, but it's not quite there. The upper back of my throat feels puffy. Like it's harder to swallow, especially in the mornings. I have a little pain through my ears and up into my nose nearing my brain. You know, that really deep part where sometimes you feel like you might have a booger, but nobody's (not even E.T.) finger is long enough to pick there. I'm also having that jaw pain that I get sometimes when my sinuses are swollen.

Yep. I was perfectly healthy when I went to the appointment, but for three days now afterward, I am not up to par. Almost as if I breathed in something from that mask. I am not suggesting that it came with contamination. Even thought it WAS a different color from the masks the staff was wearing! No, I'm thinking that by breathing through that darn mask, stuff collected on the outside of it, and then I kept inhaling it. Because really, a paper mask is not going to stop a virus! It will stop spewed droplets, but not something as small as a virus. Besides, we are told that the mask is to protect OTHER people from OUR spewing.

I am very careful about not touching my face, and about washing my hands. It's not like I licked the exam table while I was waiting for my doctor nurse practitioner to make his appearance. I only rode the elevator with ONE person, for ONE floor, and I stood way in the back, opposite corner from her at the control panel.

Sweet Gummi Mary! I should be HEALTHIER after such an appointment. Not sicker! All this time, I've been semi-quarantining, only getting out twice a week, to grocery and elixir. And for two months, I've been fine. NOW THIS!

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the ink pen lid I used to dig around in my ear when it itched.

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Never put anything smaller than your elbow inside your ear! I was told that at some point in my life, which prompted me to ask why they made q-tips. I know what you mean about the ear pain deep in your head. I have it, too. Allergies from all the pollen here. Flonase and Zyrtec help me.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Or maybe that toe clipper-er WAS in your Devil's Playground? Perhaps they walked around barefoot in a contaminated home, and then when they got to your Devil's Playground, those nail shards went helter-skelter in the air, and POOF! that virus latched onto you...

Was that Kelly Clarkson or the old saying?

River said...

Ink pen lid? Are you nuts?? Use something less sharp. The rest sounds like an allergic reaction apart from the swollen neck balls. It's possible you are having a reaction to whatever the mask was made of, I know they call them paper but it isn't exactly like wearing a paper bag over your head. There must be some other ingredient that goes into the making of them.
Do you have some antihistamine you can try for a couple of days? If that doesn't work, get back to the doctor and don't be taking the mask off even for a second unless he says it's okay. I'm worried for you now. I hope The Pony didn't unknowingly bring something home with him.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I don't like Q-Tips because I think they shed their cotton inside my head. I have used them after a shower, if I got water in there, to dab it dry, but I won't twist them around. Come to think of it, I DID have to bend over for dropped soap, and got that ear full of water a few days ago. But usually water in the ear doesn't cause me trouble. It could be allergies. As soon as I step outside, I get throat-cleary.

***
Sioux,
It started as the old saying, but I kept hearing Kelly Clarkson in my head.

NO NO NO! Not gonna think about willy-nilly helter skelter contaminated flying toenails!

***
River,
Well, yes. I AM nuts! The sharp ink pen lid satisfies my ear-digging needs. I should know better. Every time I have a bad result, I swear I'll never do it again...

I think maybe I COULD have inhaled some kind of chemical used in the manufacture of those masks. The upper back of my throat unpuffed on Friday night, around 10:00. I have no idea why. I didn't take any medicine except my regular daily aspirin around 5:00. Saturday morning, my neck balls had decreased by about 1/3.

Funny thing NOW is that some of my teeth feel too long! You know, like when you get a filling, and the dentist tells you to bite down, and then he keeps shaving some off until it fits against your other teeth like normal. I guess it's some swelling from an irritated nerve. Good thing is that I don't feel VIRUS-Y, now that the neck balls are decreasing and the puffy throat has gone. I guess I'm fighting off whatever it is.

Yes, I DID worry about bi-state travelers Farmer H and The Pony bringing something home with them. But they've been here a week now, and I'm okay. Missouri is down 35% in their new cases, after a almost two weeks of freedom from Stay-At-Home-Down.