Monday, May 18, 2020

The Dull Moments Have Forsaken Me

With The Pony home from college, the placid days of Stay-At-Home-Down have been set on their ear. Stirred like a pot. Tumbled rumpus-over-teakettle.

The Pony suggested that we could have Little Caesar's Pizza for supper Sunday night. So I didn't have to cook. He's so thoughtful, that Pony! And also likes Little Caesar's. He said he'd order it on his phone app, and drive to pick it up. It's over by The Devil's Playground, next to Terrible Cuts.

Here's the thing. The Pony loves his Little Caesar's hot. I don't blame him. It's almost inedible once it cools. Believe me, we stopped many a time after practices on the way home from school. The boys ate theirs in the car, and I had to have mine once home and the car unloaded.

"Pony, I can drive you over to pick it up."

"I was trying to help you and Dad."

"It's okay. I know you like to eat your pizza hot."

"I can eat it while I'm driving."

"That's not safe."

"What do you think I did at college?"

"Still, you want to enjoy it. Not wolf down bites like a dog eating out of the gutter!"

"It's okay. Really."

"You order, we'll pay, and I'll drive us."

Off we went. I have a trash bag on the floor of T-Hoe's passenger seat, for the junk mail I don't want to carry into the Mansion, throw away, and carry back out to the dumpster. I told The Pony we could move it, but he said he was fine. He eyed the seat behind me longingly.

"Just like old times, huh? Except you're riding beside me, not behind me."

"Yeah. I figured you wouldn't want me sitting back there. Besides, there's stuff on the seat."

"Uh huh. For a reason..."

Since we all like different kinds of pizza, we were getting three. Which would last us two meals. Even if we didn't eat it all, it would be too stale by the third day. Dogs like stale pizza. Also, The Pony wanted an order of breadsticks, and Farmer H and I were sharing one. So we had a stack of pizza and bread to load in T-Hoe.

"I cleaned off that folded down seat behind you. Just set the boxes separate, so they don't slide off. Try to wedge in the sauces so they don't slide off the seat."

"Oh, I can hold them between my feet." Said The Pony. Seriously.

"I don't want my breadsticks anywhere near your FEET!"

He was wearing flip-flops that exposed his TOES! What in the NOT-HEAVEN was he thinking??? Especially after that episode with the remote control that I just mentioned on my not-so-secret blog. Finally, The Pony picked up what I was layin' down, and wedged the breadsticks on the floor of the back seat.

We enjoyed a pleasant repast of non-toe breadsticks and pizza back at the Mansion. Although The Pony enjoyed his pizza on the way home.

7 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Your line about "wolfing down bites like a dog eating out of the gutter" made me snort (laughing).

You're a mean mother. The Pony so so so wanted to sit in the backseat... and you wouldn't let him. For shame, for shame, for shame!

And are The Pony and Farmer H having a race to see who eats the most pieces of your Mother's Day cheesecake? It sounds like you might lose that one...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I can't imagine The Pony could get full enjoyment from ripping bites off his pizza slice while driving. He's a good eater, but not a good driver. Plus I visualized him reaching to open the box for another slice, while DRIVING!

I am done being a chauffeur for The Pony. I was doing him a fine-dining favor, so he had to submit to my seating arrangements.

The Pony and Farmer H like to play the "I'm not as bad as HIM" game. Farmer H had the first several pieces, but then The Pony had TWO at once. They might have to buy me another one. Meaning: I will have to drive to the store, find it, and pay for it.

River said...

I remember going to pizza places and Chinese takeaway places etc and always used an insulated bag to carry the food home so it stayed hot. Those bags aren't just for beer and frozen foods you know. I'm glad The Pony twigged and put your breadsticks in a safer place away from his feet.

River said...

I miss cheesecake. I'm planning on having one as soon as I lose all the weight. so far I'm 5kg down with 15kg to go. So it will be a Christmas cheesecake.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I have an insulated bag in the back of T-Hoe, but a pizza box won't fit in it!

***
River 2,
Good job on your progress! It might seem like Christmas will never get here. Just how kids feel...

River said...

Will a pizza fit in sideways? Then just lay the bag on its side so the toppings don't slide. Or get a bigger bag, just for pizza.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
No, it's a tall, rectangular bag with a zipper top. I can't get the boxed cold deli pizza from the Devil's Playground in there, either. I put them on the carpeted floor of the back hatch of T-Hoe, and cover them with a winter coat I keep in there. That's the next best thing, but I didn't think of it for the hot pizza.