Thursday, November 5, 2020

Another Little Bit Of Creepiness

Surely there's a logical explanation, one that complies with the laws of physics. If you can prove it for me, I'll stop calling you Shirley!

Wednesday morning, I awoke without my wake-up notice from The Pony. It was a couple minutes before 11:00. I heard his bedroom door, then his bathroom door, then the hum of the shower. I dragged myself out of bed and hobbled to my own bathroom. Farmer H was out and about. 
 
I gave my bathroom door a shove behind me, but it didn't latch. I do this most mornings. Maybe I'm weak. The door is closed enough, with just a tiny crack that faces the sink area, and does not allow for peeping towards the tub/toilet/shower. Surely any civilized person approaching would honor the mostly-closed door, right?

I sat on the throne, contemplating my day (elixir, scratchers, mail a bill, expired pinwheel lunch, innernetting, supper of chicken nuggets/noodles/salad, watching online election reports). I noted the time was 11:10, if the clock was accurate from Farmer H's reset ridding us of Daylight Savings Time. I pondered how long The Pony might shower, as it affects the time I get my own shower, wanting maximum hottage of the water.

CLICK-CLICK!!!

What in the Not-Heaven? The bathroom door was moving! As if being pulled closed, let go, and pulled closed again. But not latching. Just hitting the metal tongue thingy on the metal latch plate thingy. Twice. Then the door was in the same position I had left it.

Huh. That was very odd. The door has never acted like that before. I could still hear the hum of water in The Pony's shower. My throne sits right by a vent, and by my own shower, so I can hear through the ductwork and pipes. I knew The Pony was not outside my bathroom door, yanking it closed. 
 
Farmer H was not around. I'd not heard the dogs, the Gator, or the squeak and slam of the kitchen door. Nor the stumping of footless ankles on carpet. 
 
The furnace was not running. Nothing coming out of the vent. I had consciously noted that, because I felt chilly after leaving my warm bed, and was hoping the heat would kick on.

I'm not sure if something was trying to GET IN, or trying to GET OUT...

4 comments:

River said...

Sometimes doors will do that for no discernable reason. I could be a vibration for movement elsewhere in the house, just enough to set the door on a minor, unnoticeable swing as the vibration settles.
I never run out of hot water, I've got one of those instantaneous heaters that ignite as you turn on the tap and the gas heats the water as it runs through the pipes, so there's no storage tank to run dry, just continuous hot water until you turn off the taps again. It does take about a minute for the hot water to reach the tap end though.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Vibration??? NO! I don't want a vibration in the house! What if I fall down into a sinkhole while sitting on the throne?

I'm jealous of your water heater. Farmer H has promised for over 10 years to get one for the kitchen sink, because it takes so long for the water to warm up in the faucet. I guess it's because the pipes are smaller than the pipes to the boys' bathroom sink and shower, since they are farther away from the main basement water heater, yet don't have a delay problem.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Maybe it was just someone checking on you. After all, it's getting kind of late for ladybugs...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Maybe. There were also two other incidents within a day and a half of that door-flopping. Nothing provable or explainable. I guess they can be an upcoming story.