Saturday, November 7, 2020

Probably Nothing, In A Normal Mansion

The bathroom door has been behaving itself since Wednesday morning's creepiness. In retrospect and futurospect, there might have been other incidents of attention-seeking by our resident non-entity.

Tuesday evening, I went upstairs to make supper at the regular time, between 6:00 and 6:30. I keep an eye on the time at the bottom of New Delly's monitor, and by the clock on the wall. Here it is right now, at 1:00 a.m., in my lighted basement lair. You don't think I want it dark with recent shenanigans, do you?


It's a school-style clock, although Farmer H got it at his old workplace, when they got new furniture, at the same time he got me a giant battleship of a metal desk. It runs on a AA battery in the back. Heh, heh! That's probably some of the original dust there on top!

I don't remember supper that evening. It might have been a Ponytail Guy's Meat night, with chicken nuggets, some packaged noodles that The Pony made, and a salad. I sat down a few minutes after washing up the noodle pan, to talk to The Pony and Farmer H. The Pony was in a hurry to get to his nightly triangle tub soak, and didn't hang around. 

After I re-heated my nuggets, and put Ken's Steakhouse Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing on my romaine, tomatoes, and provel shredded cheese salad, I headed down to my lair. I was happily feasting, listening to a conspiracy podcast, when I glanced at the time. Huh! How did it get to be 8:45! I swear, it was just  about 7:30 last time I looked!

Aha! I peered up at the wall clock, which said 7:40. I KNEW IT! Wait a minute. My computer clock wouldn't be wrong. I double-checked with my phone. Yes. It was, indeed, 8:45. 

HOW had my clock lost exactly 55 minutes while I was upstairs? I had reset that clock, due to the end of Daylight Savings Time, on Monday night. So I was a day late. Sue me.

This was quite puzzling. I KNEW I had set that clock back an hour. My back was twinging that night, and I have to lean over and reach up to grasp that clock, then balance myself, leaning, to get the notch on the back to align with the nail in the wall. Besides, it had been the right time WHEN I WENT UPSTAIRS FOR SUPPER!

I know I sat around chatting with Farmer H until 7:30 or 7:45. I didn't notice what time I got to my lair. I think my podcast was late coming online. I'd been looking for it between 8:00 and 8:30. I guess I was in a feeding frenzy coma when I glanced at the wall clock and assumed it was 7:30. Which that clock would have indeed shown me, what with being 55 minutes behind!

I stood up and re-set it again. It has worked fine since then, not losing a single minute. I even asked The Pony if he'd re-set my office clock for me. You know, maybe while I was distracted washing the noodle pan, with my back to the living room where he eats. Maybe he'd run downstairs for something, and thought he'd help me out. Yes. I KNOW THAT'S FAR-FETCHED! The HELPING part! Then he reminded me that no, he had eaten his supper, and gone to the big tub. Farmer H also denied HELPING me. Very strange.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT, the night after the bathroom-door-flapping incident that morning, I heard something. It wasn't so much Wednesday night, as 2:10 a.m. Thursday morning. I know that was the right time, because I looked at New Delly's monitor. 

I was tap-tapping away when I heard a noise outside my chamber door, across the basement, up 13 steps, on the TILE IN FRONT OF THE FRONT DOOR.

You know how you get used to your Mansion. You can tell by the sound where something is noisening. There are beige ceramic tiles at the front door and landing at the top of the basement steps. It was the sound of one item falling. Not bouncing, not rolling, not breaking. Just the sound of a hard-plastic substance hitting the tile. Not wood, not metal, not insulated plastic like a bubba cup. It was not the metal front door opening or closing. Not a dog flopping on the front porch, wagging a tail against the door, or moving a metal chair. I know my Mansion's sounds.

When I went upstairs in the wee hours of the morning, I saw NOTHING out of place. The three embroideried thingies in plastic circles were all hanging. They've been known to fall off in a hard door slam (don't ask!), or if wind whips in with the door open. The two magnetic thingies, Genius's Santa Claus, and The Pony's skeleton, were still in the same place on the door.
 
 
I don't know what's going on here. Am I supposed to be getting a message? Am I going nuts? (That's RHETORICAL, people!) Are Farmer H and The Pony gaslighting me?

4 comments:

River said...

It is a bit weird, perhaps the skeleton hopped down for a bit of dancing but changed his mind and hung himself again?

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
The way the laws of physics are scoffed around here, that is possible!

It COULD have been the skeleton head, or a foot, if they tripled in size, and landed alone. That was the sound. Not multiple thumps. Farmer H denied being up at 2:10 a.m., as did The Pony. So a hypothesis that something dropped, and they put it back up, does not prove correct. I'm still trying to sort it out.

Sioux Roslawski said...

If Farmer H and The Pony drive you over the edge, how will they cope without you?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
They will subsist on microwaved 6-week-expired hot dogs and dog bread, while still managing to destroy the kitchen.