Monday, January 25, 2021

Muffy And Mandy And Bitsy And Babs Probably Slip Him Double-Stuffed Watercress Sandwiches

Today I want to air a small complaint about Farmer H. I KNOW! Such a behavior is totally uncharacteristic for Mrs. HM. But just for this one day, I have a minor axe to grind. A mini axe. More of a tiny plastic sword used to skewer fruit in mixed drinks. 

I'm sure this peevishness is simply a result of 31 years 2 months of marriage cabin virus fever. But here goes:

FARMER H EATS FINGER FOODS LIKE A DAINTY DEBUTANTE!

What in the NOT-HEAVEN? He's a grown man. Overgrown. Rough around the edges. He's even been known to put his overalls on backwards, only noticing a problem when he couldn't buckle the straps. He puts his clipped toenails in my mixed-berry candle on the mantel! Pees off the front porch. Takes a dip in POOLIO in his tighty-whities, or even worse, NOTHING AT ALL! 

Yet when he is served a food suitable for finger-eating, Farmer H grasps it with his thumb and forefinger, and holds up his remaining three fingers. The sight HORRIFIES me! The optics are so very wrong. Like a hippopotamus in a tutu. A sumo wrestler in a bonnet. A maximum security prison with windows made out of that candy glass used in movies.

I was triggered on Sunday afternoon when I gave Farmer H one of my Dairy Queen soft pretzel sticks. Oh, how I wish I hadn't turned to see him debutanting it!

This is not a new behavior. Right after we were married, and used to go to a Chinese restaurant over in Bill-Paying Town, Farmer H would eat his chicken wings like that. THE HORROR! I have mentioned to him that it is not a good look. Farmer H is not pickin' up what I'm layin' down. He also eats his Casey's donuts like that, but at least he's usually enclosed in a vehicle when that happens.

I am facing Super Bowl Sunday with trepidation. Farmer H prefers an array of finger foods.

3 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Oh, he's pickin' up what you're laying down. But he's picking it up with his thumb and forefinger, and the other three fingers are delicately waving in the wind...

River said...

I would think you'd be happy to find that chip of diamond in amongst all the rough that is Farmer H.
A tiny snippet of gentility.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Heh, heh! That made me snort! But will give me nightmares in the early AM hours.

***
River,
If it wasn't so creepy, I might appreciate it more. He's not quite ready to have tea with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth.