Thursday, January 28, 2021

The Pony Cannot Change His Spots

I see interesting things from my seat on the end of the marred coffee table every morning, while catching up on the innernets on my laptop HIPPIE, parked on a TV tray in front of the living room window. Like Tuesday, when my little Jack came romping across the yard, strutting stiff-legged, chest puffed out (actually that's a characteristic of heelers), with something in his mouth. Trailed by Copper Jack.

"Pony! Come look at this! WHAT has Jack got in his mouth? It's blue. I hope it's not a piece of one of Dad's themed sheds!"

Because, you know, we can't have Jack feasting on structures along Shackytown Boulevard until they're all gone.

"I'll go out and see what it is. Let me put some shoes on."

The Pony stepped out. Jack dropped his treasure, which was about the size of a roofing shingle, and charged at The Pony, dancing on his hind legs in excitement. The Pony patted him, then picked up the unknown chew-toy, held it aloft for me, and brought it up on the porch and SET IT ON THE METAL CHAIR IN FRONT OF THE WINDOW. He came back inside.

"He'll get that, you know. He can reach it. He'll just eat it some more."

"It looks like a piece of a plastic tub. It's blue."

"Oh, Dad DID mention something about Jack eating a whole storage tub, piece by piece."

"Yeah. It's not part of a shed."

"You can give him and Copper Jack a piece of that leftover pizza."

"No. I'm fine."

"I can't believe you! Jack was SO HAPPY for you to come out. And you can't even be bothered to toss him a treat."

Apparently, The Pony doesn't really care about helping people OR pets.

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

The Pony is not willing to help out anything warm-blooded. How about snakes? Amphibians?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I don't know. He's untested with those species. I think he would help a ladybug. Or at least not kill it! On purpose, anyway...

River said...

Shame on you Pony! Share the leftover pizza.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
There's more to this pizza story, coming up in a couple days.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Poor Jack, starving for the affection of one who does not care! My daughter was like that with my dogs, especially Oscar. She was his original owner and every time she saw him she told him how much she hated him. Oscar didn't care, never clamoring for attention from her. He only cared for me, and her daughter! If Layla was at my house I was given strict instructions NOT to let Oscar anywhere near her. You know I totally disregarded that! She arrived once to pick up 10 month old Layla to find her sitting on the floor with the Oscar letting him lick the inside of her ear!! Layla loved Oscar and Jill could not stop the child from playing with the dog!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
The Pony will usually pet Jack, and talk to him. I guess providing him sustenance is too much like a JOB!

Oscar had good taste!