Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Just A Hypothesis, Concerning The Mail

We had a lot of rain on Saturday. The water had been over the bridge, but was down when I went to town in the afternoon. On the way home, I stopped by EmBee to get our mail. Nothing. It's usually there by 4:30, even on a Saturday. So I figured we didn't get anything.

Sunday, I was feeling woozy from my head pains, and commanded asked The Pony to ride to town with me. On the way home, I said,

"I'm stopping by the mailbox. You can reach out your window and see if we got anything. Just in case I missed it yesterday."

"Wow. There's a whole mailbox full! It's definitely two days worth of mail that we got today."

"Uh. This is SUNDAY. There's no mail delivery on Sundays." 
[I told the City Carrier Assistant with the USPS]

"Oh. I mean, this is probably the mail we got tomorrow."

"TOMORROW is Labor Day, a mail holiday, and I don't think you can see the future."

"Um. You know what I meant. The day before. YESTERDAY'S mail."

"Okay. Sure. I guess it was late because of water being over the bridge, and having to come around the other way."

"Maybe. But sometimes they'll tell us just to forget that part. So if it was a substitute, or a new carrier, they probably would have said to forget it, rather than explaining how to go around."

"And yet we have a mailbox full of mail."

I don't know about you, but I at least want my mail carrier to know what days the mail is delivered, and the difference between yesterday, and tomorrow! Is that too much to ask? I fear The Pony has grown as rusty as his immobilized broken ankle during his time off.

4 comments:

River said...

I remember Saturday mail deliveries, mornings only, nothing after noon. The post was delivered by a young man on a bicycle with a leather satchel stuffed full and he would blow a whistle when mail was deposited in your mailbox. I think all that stopped around 1965. Now we barely get any deliveries at all.
Do you think The Pony was practising a little "Hick" type speech?

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Heh, heh! Farmer H's answers change to fit my interrogation. I think The Pony was just confused.

That bicycle/leather satchel scenario reminds me of The Sound of Music, when Rolf(?) delivered messages to the captain.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Maybe Jerry skipped and whistled his way down the country roads to deliver your mail on Sunday?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Maybe... but for sure he didn't have Grandma Mimma's napkins full of mutton in his pockets, or he wouldn't have made it this far, with all the roaming dogs in Hillmomba.