Thursday, September 16, 2021

Magnetic Personality, Gravitational Pull, Or Stalkers With Ulterior Motives

Mrs. HM has an unofficial fan club. A plethora of people clamoring for her attention. Not just the usual five or six daily scam callers. They are not total strangers. Just semi strangers. I don't know them personally, but they're from my college. That's right. College. Where I attended over 30 years ago. I'm pretty sure they're not my classmates.

WHY would these current students want to talk to me? They call. They mail me postcards. They send emails. WHY am I so in-demand? Are they trying to make new friends? I'm pretty sure they don't want to chat. Or inquire about my health. I assume they might want to update my current address, phone number, and email. But they already have that, right?

WHY would they need that info? To CONTACT ME, of course. But why would they want to contact me? Here we go again.

I'm pretty sure they want money.

Seriously. Are they going to find me a job through their alumni services? I don't think so. They want a donation. Good luck with that. It's a public university. I do not feel obligated.

6 comments:

River said...

If they ask for money, come back with "I was going to ask you the same thing."

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
OR I could start chatting like they WERE my old friends. Or new friends, who surely MUST want to learn all about me!

Farmer H answered a call from Genius's college one night, and said he MIGHT give a donation. It took months before their calls stopped. Let the record show that I HAD given Genius's Solar Car team a donation, by mail, and didn't appreciate being dunned for more money.

Sioux Roslawski said...

I get the same calls. And things in the mail. From 2 different colleges.

Perhaps tell them that if you had been counseled into choosing a more lucrative career, you might have more money to donate. Instead, you chose the noble profession/mission of teaching, so you don't have a penny (or a square) to spare...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Funny that my other college doesn't try to find me. It's a private college, not a public university. You'd think it would be the opposite. I don't even have a Label Baby Jr to spare! To a college, anyway.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Just money, don't be too flattered! It si nice to be wanted, though!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Heh, heh! And I was feeling so popular...