Friday, September 17, 2021

Zirconium In The Ruff

She's HEEEEERE! Our temporary loaner dog, the big white long-haired pooch that looks like Copper Jack, according to Farmer H's description. Her alias is Zirconium. We have yet to be properly introduced.

When Back-Creek Neighbor Bev's husband delivered Zirc, Farmer H tied her to our glider over by the chicken pen. He said if it rained, she could get under the swing. I said the ground would still be wet. Farmer H said, "She's and outside dog, HM." Still. That's incanine to expect a dog to lie on wet ground. Lucky for Zirc, it didn't rain. Even so, I shamed Farmer H into letting Zirc off her leash when he came back home around 8:00 p.m.
 
While he was gone, I went out on the porch to get a look at Zirc. She didn't much like me, barking her fool head off in protest, even though I sweet-talked her by name. I didn't even get off the porch. No need to agitate her while she was tied up.

Through the night, I heard our dogs barking at Zirc, and Zirc barking at them. She's yapping her fool head off right now as I type this at 11:30 p.m. on Thursday. Zirc has a shrill bark, similar to Juno. I know it's Zirc, from the direction of the bark. According to Farmer H, "She hasn't got off the trailer."

At first I thought, "How sad." Believing he meant the trailer that Bev's husband left out here for safe-keeping, and she wanted to be where she last smelled his scent. But no. Farmer H meant HIS trailer, which he has parked blocking Shackytown Boulevard.
 
 
I think Zirc looks very Yellow-Lab-ish. I think Shackytown Boulevard looks very junky, from Farmer H's assorted "treasures" across the street. The maroon chicken pen, the white metal building that held hay for the goats, where Jack likes to dig in and sleep in the winter. And the blue barrels Farmer H used to make an outdoor shower when Genius's Solar Car Team stayed here on their cross-country race.
 
Anyhoo... Farmer H took the pictures for me. They're almost the same, but this second one adds 10 pounds and five years to Zirc's appearance.
 
 
Sorry, Zirc. I should have stopped with the first one! Obviously, Zirc HAS gotten off the trailer. There's no poop on it. She must feel safe there, above the other dogs as they come to look at her. In fact, I caught Zirc off the trailer on Wednesday, when I drove down into the BARn field, there at the end of Shackytown Boulevard. I could see Jack and Copper Jack milling around, and when I got out of T-Hoe, I heard and saw Zirc.

She was backed up beside the Railroad Car shed, barking her fool head off at the pair of Jacks. They stood a respectful distance, gawking. When they saw me, Jack came running and jumped his short long body against my leg for petting. Copper Jack circled behind me, to keep an eye on me. Because obviously, I can't be trusted, even though our interactions consist of me tossing him treats, and never trying to get close or pet him.

Anyhoo, when I left home, I'd cut some of those dog meatballs in half, and put them in a baggie, intending to lure Zirc with tasty treats. But no. I tossed out samples for the Jacks, and Zirc took that opportunity to run for the trailer. Only Juno was trotting toward me, scraggly bur-fur flopping in her self-created breeze. Zirc slunk beside the Schoolhouse Shack, and they barked at each other. 
 
Zirc glanced back at me, and I tossed a treat, but she didn't see it. I'm sure one of the Jacks ate it later. Most likely my little Jack, because he has a fantastic nose. While Copper Jack seems to be blind in the olfactory department. I can toss that dog tidbits on the back porch, and before he finds them, my Jack has eaten his own, and run to gobble Copper Jack's as well.

I hope our dogs start getting used to Zirc, but more importantly, that SHE gets used to THEM. So she can run with the pack, chasing the herd of squirrels that infest the back yard and porch. And the rabbits in Copper Jack's rightful yard/field. We have two spare dog houses on the opposite end of the house from Juno's mansion. Out of her sight. Zirc is welcome to take up residence in one. She'll be fine if she takes the route along the front porch, and doesn't pass Juno...

5 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

She looks like a big strong girl!

River said...

Zirc looks nice, I think the squareness across the front of the chest suggests a bit of boxer in her ancestry. I think she is just a bit upset about suddenly finding herself away from her mum and having to eat and sleep in a strange place. She'll need time and gentle words.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Zirc is bigger than I expected. Juno is nearly as tall, but probably 15-20 pounds lighter. I think Juno is Border Collie/Lab. She used to be so hyper when she was young, darting around the front yard/field. Juno had better mind her Ps and Qs, and not let her muzzle write checks her rumpus can't cash.

***
River,
I'm sure Zirc is sad and baffled by the disappearance of her people. Today when I came down the driveway in T-Hoe, she stood in front of the trailer, barking her fool head off, as the other three dogs raced across the yard barking to greet me. I'm hoping Zirc will come a few steps farther each day, until she joins the cacophony of my homecoming. There's a meatball treat waiting for her! I call out to Zirc every day, using her real name. Now she shuts up for a few minutes to listen.

Farmer H was working on a push lawnmower today, and said Jack and Zirc peacefully co-existed. Don't know where the other two were. Juno is always standoffish when we get a new pet. It took her about a month to tolerate Puppy Jack.

Sioux Roslawski said...

I think your're right. I think she's part Lab.

Since you guys now have 3 canines (Copper Jack doesn't count), you should play some Three Dog Night songs...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I must be psychic. I'd been playing one almost every day, while scratchers. Zirc was probably lying on her (Farmer H's) trailer, bemoaning the fact that she's definitely not in Shambala.