Thursday, September 2, 2021

Don't Fear The Non-Raper

Just before I left for town on Saturday, we had a downpour. I swear, the sun was shining brightly when I got in the shower, temperature 92. But when I got out, it looked like dusk was falling. Gray all around, and the TV was off because the DISH satellite couldn't get a signal.

I spent a few minutes talking to The Pony, and Farmer H, who had just returned from his Storage Unit Store. When I got to the garage, there was just a steady light rain. I stopped by EmBee, only to find her gullet starving for mail. As I walked back across the road to where I'd parked T-Hoe on the muddy gravel, I held up my saggy pantlegs so they didn't soak up mud.

What's that? Oh. The sound of a car coming down the gravel road. I stood in front of T-Hoe, so as not to impede them going around me, and also to prevent being splashed with muddy water. Dang. It was taking them forever, I thought, while wiping at the beading water on T-Hoe's hood. 

Dang it! The car stopped beside T-Hoe. It was not a car at all, but a WHITE VAN. What the boys would call a Raper Van, only not. This one was a mini van, with windows. Not the standard white Raper Van without.

Sweet Gummi Mary! The van had not stopped to look for traffic before pulling out onto the blacktop county road... but was putting the passenger window down!

"Do you need help with anything?" 

Said an old teenager, with reddish hair much the style of Napoleon Dynamite.

"No. I'm fine. I was just waiting for you to go by before I opened up my door into the road. But thanks for asking."

"No problem."

Off he went. One of the last nice people in Hillmomba. Or on earth. Or perhaps a raper on the way to buy a different van...

9 comments:

River said...

ah, you've reached the age where random young people ask if you need assistance.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I've been the age where they SHOULD for a while now. What's shocking is that he DID try to help me. Almost as if he cared about helping people! You don't see that much these days in this age group.

Sioux Roslawski said...

More cowbell!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I love Christopher Walken! He's so creepy and off-putting, no matter what character he plays. I used to like Will Ferrell, but he's fallen out of favor with me lately.

A couple Christopher Walken favorites: the witness-protected janitor in "Joe Dirt," and a murder investigator in "Scotland, PA" which is a modern-day version of MacBeth, starring another fav, Maura Tierney, and James LeGros.

Sioux Roslawski said...

I love Walken as well. He DOES dominate the screen whenever he appears.

Your mention of Will Ferrell made me think of the Jeopardy episodes on SNL. I loved when "Sean Connery" was a contestant, and thought it was Ferrell that played him, but it was not.

(The Jeopard episode I loved had a question like, "The sound a dog makes" and "Sean" said, "Ruff--which is how your mother likes it, Alex." I used to love Connery, but when he shared he hit his wife to keep her in line, he fell from my graces.)

I'll have to check out "Scotland, PA." I've missed Tierney ever since she left ER...

Kathy's Klothesline said...

The younger generation has not yet offered me any assistance! Maybe I am off-putting when I glare at them?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I LOVE SNL JEOPARDY! No matter who plays the host, or who the guests are. The only movie I recall with Sean Connery is "Medicine Man," with Lorraine Bracco, where he's living in the rain forest and had created a cure for cancer. It's a good movie, but includes native nudity, so I can't recommend it without that caution.

***
Kathy,
At least they haven't PULLED A DOOR CLOSED in your face, either, I hope!

Sioux Roslawski said...

Some of my favorite Sean Connery movies are:

The Untouchables--he plays the best character in this movie

The Hunt for Red October

Finding Forrester--my favorite movie of his

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I have trouble following the plot in military or spy movies, because all the characters look alike to me. So The Hunt for Red October is not on my to-see list.

I've never seen Finding Forrester, but I DID see Good Will Hunting, also directed by Gus Van Sant, which some critics say FF is a second helping of. But thankfully with Sean Connery, and without Matt Damon, and especially Robin Williams and Ben Affleck, both of whom I despise.