Sunday, November 12, 2023

Mrs. HM Sees An Invisible Car

I was on my way home from town Saturday, around 3:00, on the county blacktop road. I'd just passed the house where my mom hit a dog (didn't hurt him, she wasn't going fast, and he kept walking toward his yard, but of course The Pony made a big deal of it as a young'un). And was heading toward the corner house with a Great Pyrenes they shaved for the summer, who has been getting out of the yard lately. The sky was overcast, with the light purple-gray cloud bottoms that come before a rain.

Anyhoo... I was tooling along in T-Hoe, thinking how I needed to pat out some hamburgers for Farmer H to grill for supper. Coming up a hill, the crest which was in front of the Great Pyrenes house. Then something seemed off. 

"Huh. What's different here? The sky looks funny..."

Then the sky was coming towards me!!! Or at least a small car, the exact color of the sky!

I can't even describe that color. Except for the bottom of a thunderstorm cloud before it goes all dark. It's not gray. Not purple. But a combination.

Sweet Gummi Mary! Can you buy a more invisible car??? It's like a pastel gray/lavender color. Silver cars, and gray cars, are hard to see at dawn and dusk, but at least they have a metallic glint that makes you realize it's a car. This little Easter egg hue is quite unnoticeable on an overcast afternoon, coming out of the sky like that. It's like a stealth bomber at night!

I hope I don't see another one. Well. I guess I mean I DO hope I SEE it, if there's another one. I just don't want this color to be a new trend.

6 comments:

Rae said...

We have that same problem with all of the white cars during the winter with all of the snow. It can really be difficult to see them, at times, and if it's snowing and they're too stupid to put their headlights on, it's almost completely impossible. I don't know that I've seen a car of this color, but I will certainly be on the lookout. Ranee (MN)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Rae,
Good luck, they're hard to SEE if you do see one! I can imagine how white cars would be a problem, and there are SO MANY white cars! Sometimes there are five in a row while I'm sitting at the stoplight. At least we don't have a lot of snow here. Probably less than 10 accumulating snowstorms during the worst winters. That's the ones we actually get. Of course the forecasters warn us of a catastrophic blizzard about twice a week through the winter...

River said...

I've seen a few cars that colour and they are hardest to see here on foggy mornings which are thankfully rare, and on grey rainy days, but then most people here put their headlights on at those times. the colour of the year seems to be bright red for new cars, there are so many of them right now. Makes a nice change from all the silver of the past few years.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Keep all those pastel cars over there! My favorite car of all time was red. A 1990 Toyota Corolla 4-door. And SilverRedO is red. I like a car that's visible. At least black T-Hoe has headlights that automatically come on, no matter what time of day. They were a big thing back in the day, when T-Hoe was new. Called daytime running lights. I don't know what year that stopped being a thing.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I have never picked out a car to purchase, I drive whatever I am given. I don't care so much, but HeWho purchased a car the color of pavement, an Accura TL. Actually he leased it and it was my vehicle to drive. I loved everything about the car except the color, people kept pulling out in front of me! I told him to NEVER get a vehicle that color again. When the lease was up, he got a white car for me ..... in Minnesota .... in winter. Same problem, different color. If I ever get the chance to pick my own vehicle it will be neon green or school bus yellow! I want to be seen!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I have not only picked out several cars, but have also BOUGHT ONE all by myself, at the dealer. It was my red Toyota Corolla. When I went to pick it up the next day, Hick asked me to get him a cap. The salesman said, "Lady, with the price you got on this car, you ain't gettin' a hat!"

I guess he was not happy that I took along my hardback copy of Stephen King's "The Stand," and patiently started reading every time he went to "run this by my supervisor." Then I'd stick to the price I was willing to pay, no change, while he kept trying to write up a new offer. I was there almost 3 hours. They were ready to close (that's why I went late in the day). I thanked him for his time, and said I was sorry that we couldn't reach a deal, but I had another car I liked almost as much at another dealer. Funny how all at once, his supervisor approved my offer!