Tuesday, November 28, 2023

One Down, Three To Go

A while back, I bemoaned the fact that I have been unable to find certain items in the new 10Box store that replaced Country Mart. Let the record show that on Monday, I found

MICROWAVE POPCORN!

Was it on the chip aisle, where I might have overlooked it? Nope! It was on the BREAD AISLE! Funny how I have been down the bread aisle several times, yet not actively seeking microwave popcorn there. So it went unnoticed by logical Mrs. HM. 

I was actually planning to ask the cashier, for future reference, when I walked by on the main front aisle, and happened to glance over at the bread aisle. That's because I originally thought I was going to get bread, but of course that's where three employees were congregating while one put bread loaves on the shelf from a big metal cart. I had decided we could go without a new loaf, and was just looking to see if the triumvirate had disassembled, when the bright orange of the Blast O' Butter popcorn box caught my eye. Yay, me!

Anyhoo... now I only have to discover where they're keeping the canned potatoes, Puffs With Lotion, and baby corns.

I might not even look for the potatoes, because on Tuesday, I'm making a pot of vegetable beef soup, and using frozen cubed hash brown potatoes. For once, Mrs. HM is able to think outside the can...

5 comments:

River said...

I'm clueless about hash brown potatoes, aren't they a fried item? or are they cubed ready to be fried? it seems odd to me to put fried potatoes in a soup.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I'm no 5-star Michelin chef, but even I would not put fried potatoes in soup. Hash browns are fried if you order them in a restaurant for breakfast. They might be little slivers that are fried, and served like a pile of shredded potatoes, or stuck together like a flat bird's nest. The other version is cubes, about 1/2 inch in diameter. It's the frozen cubes of potatoes I used. They come in a bag, unfried, with no coating. Just frozen potato cubes. If I remember, I'll get a picture of my soup for the day after tomorrow.

River said...

Thanks for the explanation. Plain potato cubes in a soup is fine, I do that myself.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

You ARE thinking outside the potato sack, aren't you? Recipes are just suggestions, just like the intended use on bags of potatoes!

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Still working on getting a picture for you.

***
Kathy,
That's me. Reinventing the wheel daily!