Thursday, August 11, 2011

I Am Not A Travel Lodge

I rue the day that cell phones were invented. It's bad enough that I have to battle them every hour of every day in my classroom. Bad enough that I'm not allowed to have my cell phone out unless I am hermetically sealed in a studentless closet. Bad enough that my cell phone won't even work at school if I hang my head out the window, necessitating a walk to the parking lot before school, at lunch, or on plan time to try and contact medical providers, while hoping that students are not observing me out of the classroom windows.

But the very worst part of the creation of the cell phone is the confounded apps available. I am never safe from the dastardly genius that is the #1 son. Today, while wrapped in T-Hoe's comfortable leather seats, waiting for the movie theater to open, he stuck that evil EVO 3D in my face and snapped a photo. Flattering, I was sure, being taken by surprise like that.

He announced, "Here's your new contact picture when you call me." I looked at the screen he stuck in my face. I shoved his wrist back, because I did not have my bifocals. And I saw "my" photo. It was the new Hampton Inn behind the movie theater.

I know I am not svelte. But by no stretch of the imagination am I the size of a two-tiered motel. The boy said he had the wrong photo up. Mine was next. He showed me my likeness, all black with neon outlines around my glasses and lips. Some new photo app. Like the blacklight of yesteryear.

That's his story and he's stickin' to it.

2 comments:

labbie1 said...

Interesting! Could be worse! LOL

Hillbilly Mom said...

labbie,
I don't know. The picture he has been using has my face filling the screen. It reminds me of when a person is peering into a hidden camera or a door peephole, and the face is all distorted. I saw it the first time, and said, "What's my ringtone, We Are the World? Because I look like a giant globe."

Unfortunately, he had not altered that picture. It was really me. I am the world.