Friday, October 28, 2011

Connie Appleseed

School was out today, because of parent conferences earlier in the week. I started the day with a visit to a convenient care clinic to rid myself of a cold/sinus sickness that has plagued me for almost two weeks. From there, The Pony and I visited the pharmacy, the bank, the savings & loan, Captain D's, the pharmacy again, the gas station chicken place for a soda at half the price of Sonic, the Save A Lot, and back home. Tired yet?

As I was leaving the drive-thru lane after making the Mansion payment, the teller pointed to a wicker basket on her glassed-in counter. "Apple?" I did not hear her at first, and said something clever like WHAT? Then she asked again, "Would you like an apple?" No. I consulted The Pony. Nor did he.

As we pulled away from the window, I caught The Pony's eye in the mirror. "Do I look like the kind of person who would like an apple?"

"No. Not really."

"I didn't think so. Anyway, it's not like it's going to keep the doctor away, heh heh."

"Well. You should have come here first."

That Pony. He's a quick one. But what's with tellers offering apples at the drive-thru? Did my flawless beauty set her off? Am I Mrs. Hillbilly Snow Mom White? Was she trying to poison me so she could be the fairest one of Hillmomba?

Maybe it had something to do with Halloween. Maybe she saw The Pony in the back seat. But she didn't ask if my little Pony wanted an apple. She asked ME.

At least she didn't offer me a dog biscuit.

2 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Have you seen the price of fruit lately? You should have taken the apple. Or, maybe she has apple trees on her property and unlike mine they had apples on them and she decided to share the wealth.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
In retrospect, I should have learned that lesson at the teacher lunch table. We're always glomming onto unwanted fruit. Last week, we raked in four bananas and three apples in one day.